pain in the left hip after workout???

Evelyn M.
on 6/17/11 11:45 pm - United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have experienced this now a few times and yesterday again: I did Zumba and dancing, which was all good fun, but after I came home my left side on the hip really hurts. It still hurts today, if I walk or even if I lay on it. Is that because of the overweight? does anybody else have this problem? It is quite difficult, because if I do a workout like this I need around a5-6 days to be pain-free again and start all over again.

Any advise?

Many thanks! evelyn
Roll on weight loss!

sesmith
on 6/18/11 12:30 am
 Do half the class, and work your way up to a full class. Explain your pain to the instructor, and keep on going until you can do the whole class. Also the instructor might have ideas to modify some of the moves to reduce pain after the class.
crystal M.
on 6/18/11 12:34 am - Joliet, IL
Is Zumba high impact???  I don't know I never saw it.  If you are jumping around a lot then it's high impact.  You might need to switch off to a low impact activity for awhile.  Then maybe after the pain is gone alternate low impact with high impact.  I also want to suggest you do some weight lifting to strengthen your hip and leg muscles.  This is a good way to guard against injury.  The specific exercise I would think for you would be hip adduction and hip abduction exercises...but of course I'm not an expert.  It's also important to stretch after exercising to prevent injury.  I do this religiously and I love it.  It's so relaxing.   

When I first started to run I kept getting pains in my knees.  My doctor suggested I strengthen my quadriceps and hamstrings (the muscles supporting the knee).  I exercise these and other leg muscles 3 times a week and I never have any knee pain any more.  It worked!!!

Good luck with your exercising  
Most Active