doctor says i'm not losing enough

mannybear
on 6/29/11 9:29 am, edited 6/29/11 9:39 am
hi all! haven't been around here much lately --- been busy with work, life and working this band to the best of my ability. 

had an appointment with my doctor today and he told me i'm not losing enough weight. i was banded 3/9, just had my third fill today (for a total of 4.8 ccs in a 14 cc band) and am down about 29 lbs, which, yes, by some standards, is not a lot. i have, however, lost about 22 inches overall, which i am very pleased about. i fit into clothes i haven't worn in years and am consistently losing, though in small doses. i have PCOS/insulin resistance, and no matter how little i eat, or how much i exercise, i will always be a slow loser.

well...after telling me that i wasn't losing enough, my doc also told me that it must be that i'm not following my diet and exercising like i'm saying i am, and that i must use this tool i've been given.

i was furious, and extremely upset, and after my tiny fill, left the office feeling beaten down.

he doesn't have to remind me that i'm losing slowly --- believe me, I'M AWARE! but alluding to the fact that i'm lying about what and how much i've been eating, or what and how much i've been working out? i've been working my (shrinking) behind off only to see little movement on the scale/lots of movement on the measuring tape! if anyone should be frustrated, it should be me. but i'm trying to have the most positive outlook on the situation as possible, recognizing the fact that i lose (no matter how little) consistently and FEEL different.

anyone else a slow loser? anyone else think that i should be concerned with my weight loss (or lack thereof)?

Banded: 3/9/11 HW/SW/CW/GW: 259/245/230/170
  http://bandedchick.wordpress.com   

Stephanie M.
on 6/29/11 10:35 am
First off, congrats on the 29 lb loss in less than 4 months...that is about 7.5 lb per month or between 1-2 lb per week which is the expected result with lap-band.  Don't let your doctor define your success.  If you are pleased with your progress, following dietary and exercise instructions and losing steadily, you are doing great.  Some docs will be over-zealous with regard to fills, resulting in you being too tight and becoming vulnerable to complications.  As you lose, your PCOS should improve and your insulin resistance should decrease.
Keep up the good work!
Steph

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

mannybear
on 6/29/11 11:24 am
 thanks steph! you're right. i shouldn't let him define my success -- especially when i am feeling pretty okay with where i'm at physically/mentally. thanks for your kind words!

sflow67
on 6/29/11 10:44 am
manny i am surprised that your doctor would even say such a thing. How dare he question your habit. He above everyone else should know that there is no definitive amount of weight you should lose. Everyone's body is different therefore there will be variations on weightloss. I am absolutely furious for you. I too am a slow loser for the first 6 to 7 months i was stuck at 30 pound loss, however in the last month and a half i dropped another 21 pounds,so 51 from my highest. So please dont be discouraged by what your doctor said just keep doing what you are doing and it will pay off. Also is it at all possible to get a new doc? if not i would absolutely let him know that his insinuations and opinions are extremely inappropriate and not appreciated at all. One more thing i used any and all snide and rude comment from "friends" and co workers as my personal motivation believe me when im walking and i dont want to climb that last hill i replay those snide and rude comments and i sprint up the hill LOL it works for me. try it the next time ur working out think about what that doctor said and use it to rev up ur workout and just know that its gonna pay off. I wish you well and i know that you can do this,just by coming on here and venting it shows me that you have the willpower to do this lets prove that s/o/b wrong. ok ima put my pom poms down and go find a hill to climb now u got me pissed off for you LOL.

peace
shireen
mary101678
on 6/29/11 10:53 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Shireen:
RIGHT ON!!!

mannybear
on 6/29/11 11:25 am
 right on! channeling that frustration will probably be the best possible thing in this situation...or potentially finding a new doctor that isn't holding me to some "standard" rate of loss. thanks for the encouragement!

mary101678
on 6/29/11 10:52 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
I agree with the other comments. It sounds like your doc is out of line. Maybe if you see a nutrionist, things may improve, but he should have suggested that, not admonished you for not being compliant, as they say.

My weight loss has also been very slow, and I am traditionally a slow loser. I was banded in December of 2010 and have only lost 18.5 pounds since then, and the last 3-4 in the last 3 weeks!

I had to make diet adjustments after the band, but the doc basically ordered me to see the nutrionist, which I had been neglecting. Once she helped me adjust the diet a bit, I did have a lot of improvement.

It wouldn't hurt for you to tell your doc how you feel. His comments were certainly unfair!

Good luck and keep us all posted.

Best,

Mary

mannybear
on 6/29/11 11:27 am, edited 6/29/11 11:27 am
 i've been seeing the nutritionist and she told me that she wasn't concerned with how much i was eating or my food choices, so i have to figure i'm doing the right thing. i might consider telling him at my next appointment....thanks for your well wishes mary!

debbeaty01
on 6/29/11 11:15 am
I was banded 3/7/11 and I am only down 25lbs, so I feel your pain.  I swear I have to work for every ounce on that dang scale.   I follow my diet program and workout 1-2hrs 6 days a week...it is NOT for lack of effort, I just think I will always be a slow loser regardless of the effort.   I keep telling myself measure the true success at the ONE YEAR mark.

mannybear
on 6/29/11 11:30 am
 you're right! hard to see the "big-picture" perspective this far out. i think it's good to remind myself that, in the end, i will be happy with my slow loss so long as it is a permanent loss. better to lose slowly and maintain a loss than lose a huge amount quickly and regain. good luck to you!

Most Active