post-op mushie diet

peggyann5
on 7/1/11 12:01 pm
What is the best mushie foods to eat right after your liquid diet, - post op?

abandster
on 7/1/11 12:10 pm
That's a question for your surgeon, Peggy.  All surgeons have their own rules.

My "mushies" were anything I could get thru a straw.  My liquids phase had to be clear. 

So, for clear, I had jello and flavored water and popsicles and broth.

As I went to mushies, I put instant potatoes in that broth and thickened it up.  I went to pudding instead of jello (both of which were sugar free).

Time progressed and I had really soupy grits and oatmeal and more potatoe flakes in the broth.

But your surgeon should have the last word.  Just be careful.  You're probably going to be hungry when the swelling goes down as your band should be pretty much open unless your surgeon leaves the primer in the band. 

Fills will be a slow process so don't expect good restriction for a while.

Good luck.  Now call your doctor to make sure you don't make any mistakes.

LaWanda
peggyann5
on 7/1/11 2:30 pm
Thanks Lawanda, I will talk more to my Surgeon, I was mainly wondering if everybody's was about the same. I am looking at an august surgery date.

Stephanie M.
on 7/2/11 12:11 am
Since you are pre-op, your doctor and nutritionist are the best resources for this information...every surgeon has his or her own protocol based on your needs and their experience with past patients.  My surgeon and nutritionist worked very closely with me pre-op to ensure I knew what to have on hand for at home after my surgery and gave me specific guidelines as to the amount of protein, carbs and water I was to get in each day.  It was like a full time job just feeding myself.
My post-op diet was as follows:
First 48 hours-clear liquids only. 
After 48 hours-liquids, soupy purees and meal replacement shakes (I could only manage about 1-2 oz at a time for the first day or so and got up to 4 oz by one week post-op)  Some of the things I had at this point were strained cream of chicken soup, runny cream of wheat, any pureed soup that was runny consistency.
One week post-op I was allowed mushies like refried beans, oatmeal, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, soft boiled eggs, sf pudding.
Two weeks post op I was on solids...meaning cautiously on solids.  2 oz of dense protein + 2 oz of veggies cut into 1/4 in bites and it would take me a full half hour to come close to eating that amount.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

looking4hope
on 7/1/11 11:58 pm
I went from Liquids to purees and if you go back a few pages there is a good post about purees. I have 2 more weeks of purees. My fav scrambled eggs.
Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

songbird5769
on 7/2/11 2:03 am
Adjustable Gastric Band on 07/07/11

lo fat ricotta cheese, baked or microwaved with sauce and melted mozzerella, fat free refried beans with salsa and cheddar cheese baked or microwaved

peggyann5
on 7/2/11 9:41 am
Thanks a lot and hope you are doing well.

Hopeful4Health
on 7/2/11 9:50 am
Haha Songbird! you sound like me. If it's soft, and it's Mexican. It slides right through :) Mushies for me has been a super soggy cheese enchilada.  Im lucky I don't have the sweet tooth because my fat tooth is what got me to 230 lbs in the first place :)

Banded: 06/17/2011
Height: 5'7"

Most Active