For those Dealing with a Loss

bridget1970
on 7/11/11 5:43 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17
I haven't been on OH for a while.  The last time I was on I was struggling with a plateau.  Well, I finally broke that plateau but not in a good way.  You see, on May 31 my best friend and father passed away unexpectedly and I was so despondent I ate pretty much next to nothing for about 10 days.  I'm just not an eater when I get depressed or am stressed.  Even my husband was getting concerned.  So, I dropped about 10 pounds and am eating better now even though I still greive for my dad.  I just wanted to share with you all a website called www.dailystrength.org.  It's a wonderful source of online support for those who are dealing with any kind of loss whether it be for people or pets, etc. 
debbie H.
on 7/11/11 6:39 am - AR
I'm so sorry for your loss.  My Mom died a little over a year and a half ago, and I still miss her so.  My dad died in 2001, and though I'm an only child, I'm very blessed to have my husband and grown children (and 1 grandchild) close for support. But it doesn't keep me from missing her and Daddy every day.  They were wonderful parents.  My thoughts are with you.

Jean M.
on 7/11/11 9:40 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Thanks for posting about dailystrength.org. I discovered it when trying to deal with undiagnosed, untreated chronic pain and my mother's death at the same time.

My mother died 2-1/2 yrs ago, and I still talk to her in my head every day, hear her talking to me, and miss her like crazy. But I have to say that while I still grieve, the pain of it is not as acute as it was 6 months ago or 12 months ago. I work at at JCPenney store and find a lot of comfort (and some heartache) in dealing with elderly customers *****mind me of Mom. Also, for the past few months I've been teaching arts & crafts classes at our senior center, and being with those ladies has been wonderful, kind of like connecting with substitute moms.

And pets? Oh dear. Earlier today I thought my oldest and dearest dog was getting ready to go to be with my mom. He's OK now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Ramjb249
on 7/11/11 10:40 am, edited 7/11/11 11:19 am
I have been there, done that!  My father went from being healthy (so we thought) to being diagnosed with 4th stage lung cancer, renal failure and heart failure to dying all within a week (March, 2011).  Next week will be ten years since my mother passed away.  Right before she passed away, I started losing weight and then found food as my comfort and put back on the 40lbs I had lost.  My WLS was this past January and I had lost 63lb since then to this life trauma.  The week his life fell apart, I couldn't eat anything.  I was such a ball of nerves, EVERYTHING got stuck so I didn't try.  Then old habits got me side tracked like before and although I didn't regain anything since surgery, I didn't lose any either.  FINALLY, within the last couple of weeks, I'm feeling refocused and am almost down 70lbs.  My goal is to lost 100lbs by my 1yr WLS anniversary.  I guess regardless of what we go through in life, this (WLS) we do for ourselves!  We pay the price, but we also reap the benefits.  You'll be in my prayers.  Losing loved ones is the worst part of life!
Most Active