Lap band confusion....

Vanessa A.
on 8/3/11 6:02 am - FL
Well i went to the doctor today and was told that since i wanted to loose 140lbs that i would be better off with the gastric bypass. I see a couple ppl have lost a pretty large amount . my dr said it normally helps only up to 70lbs. Can you guys help???? im so confused.
looking4hope
on 8/3/11 6:11 am
I think there really is no way to tell. Some people lose 60 while others are able to lose 150. At my support group there are many that have lost 100 pounds. It really is going to have to be something you decide on. Are you comfortable with bypass? Would you be happy losing only 1/2 your excess weight? My Doc does both by pass and band and he should us data that said 3 years out the weightloss was about equal between bypass and band. I know many would argue with that data. You have to look at both surgeries and decided what is best for you.
Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

Vanessa A.
on 8/3/11 6:15 am - FL
thanks for the reply,

Im just so frustrated. I feel now that i am ready I have all tge obstacles in the world. Based on the doctors opinion i should get the bypass but sould i get a second opinion??
healthyonmyway
on 8/3/11 6:28 am - FL
If you are questioning it then yes definitely get a second opinion. Also, do your own homework. I am newly banded but there are alot of vets on here that will hopefully shed more light on this.

4/10/11 Start weight 250; 5/25/11 Surgery weight 237.50        
looking4hope
on 8/3/11 6:26 am
Is bypass something you were considering? Have you researched it yet to see if it would be a good choice for you? If you are not going with the band I would look at all your options. Your Doc might only do bypass and band so he didn't mention the other options. If I were you I would research all the surgeries and make sure you pick the one that is best for your life style even if that means you pick a surgery this doc doesn't do.
Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

Hislady
on 8/3/11 6:27 am - Vancouver, WA
Myself I would urge you to investigate the VSG or sleeve if your insurance covers it, it is more effective (IMHO) than the band but less invasive than the RNY.
steelerfan1
on 8/3/11 6:27 am
The way I look at any WLS is you get out of it what you put in it basically.

You can lose 20 pounds with the lap band and there is people in my support group that has lost over 200 pounds with the lap band.

You just have to remember the band dont stop you from eating, it dont make you exercise, and it dont stop you from eating bad foods  basically that is with any WLS out there also .

I went into the process of the lap band that it was going to be me doing most of the work not the band but that is how I wanted my surgery to go though and that is how I work my band .  I just use the band to remind myself that I dont need to over eat at meal times and I'm successful that way .

I know people with all the different surgery types expect for the DS .  I know people that have lost alot of weight with the gastric, the sleeve, the band , and then I know others that have lost 40 pounds or less with them surgeries  or have gained all their weight back from them surgeries .

, I can sit here and eat pizza, chips, ice cream if I want to with my band .  It still has to be my choice on what foods to eat, how often to eat certain foods, and to get off my ass and exercise . 

You still have to make the right choices in those area's no matter what surgery you get :o)

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/11 11:32 am
Do as much research as you can. I would definitely get a second opinion if you are questioning. Look at the boards for RNY, DS and VSG and see if one of those is a better choice for you. Only YOU can make that decision, but educate yourself so you make the RIGHT decision. Best of luck.

If you have band experience questions feel free to PM me. I had a not great experience but I will give fair and balanced feedback as there are people who do well with it.
Lisaizme
on 8/4/11 1:44 pm - TX
Research all your options.  Get a second opinion if you don't feel comfortable.

It's a personal decision what surgery to have, no one can make it for you.

I personally did not want a bypass and I have other health issues that make the malabsorption probably not a good idea.  Sleeve wasn't being done by my surgeon at that time and frankly I didn't know about it.

Would I have chosen the sleeve if it were offered to me then?  Best answer is maybe.  I just don't know.

My surgeon did suggest RNY (bypass) to me twice, but I turned him down and here I am now banded.  :)

I do know that I've done well with my band, but I made major changes in what I choose to eat, and how active I am.  The band is only there to help me.. I am still in control.

Would I do the band again?  Yes I would.  Even if I have problems tomorrow, I'll still be happy that I got banded almost 2.5 years ago.  There is no perfect surgery, there's no "one size fits all", there's no "if you have this much to lose you MUST have this surgery".   The band IS a slower method, but that suits me fine.  The weight didn't come on fast, it can leave slow too.

Best of luck on your decision, whatever surgery you chose, if you follow your doctor's guidelines, you'll likely do very well.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

WASaBubbleButt
on 8/5/11 3:17 am - Mexico
On August 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM Pacific Time, Vanessa A. wrote:
Well i went to the doctor today and was told that since i wanted to loose 140lbs that i would be better off with the gastric bypass. I see a couple ppl have lost a pretty large amount . my dr said it normally helps only up to 70lbs. Can you guys help???? im so confused.
Lap bands provide the least weight loss, the slowest weight loss, the highest regain of all surgery types.  Bypass carries a lot of risk short and long term.  Sleeves offer the same weight loss as bypass without all the complications.  What if you look for a surgeon that can do sleeves?

I'm not a fan of bypass.  The risks are long term and about 3 years post op you get seriously metabolically challenged.  Sleeves are the safest surgery type long term, period.
Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active