Getting Back to Exercising

bridget1970
on 9/19/11 4:01 am - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17
I haven't gone to the gym to do any kind of exercising since May of this year.  I lost my father in May and have been dealing with a lot of grief related issues ever since.  Now, I feel like the time is right to try to get back to making the effort to exercise.  Can anyone offer me some tips on how to get back into the groove and what I should do to start off slowly?
Lowcountry
on 9/19/11 4:25 am - Lady's Island, SC
I'm a huge believer in the Coach to 5k plan. It starts with jogging on 1 minute at a time and slowly builds from there every week till you are able to run a 5k run. Here is link to websites that you can use and if you have a smart phone there are several free apps for it. www.c25k.com  www.fromcouchto5k.com 

Happy Running!!!!

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was 100% effort that you gave --win or lose.
-Gordie Howe

steelerfan1
on 9/19/11 4:27 am
I'm sorry to hear about your dad .  I hope things are getting a little easier for you .

When I first got my surgery I went to fast and to much with exercise. I jumped into the fire so to speak and I got extremely burnt out and now I am in the same situation as you trying to get back into after hitting and missing since late July .  It's hard to get the motivation up to get going again  and I love Zumba. 

The best thing to do is just make yourself go no excuses just go. That is what I am going to start doing this week. I have been making every excuse in the book the last two months not doing it.  It's to hot, or I would rather go out on the boat , or I just dont feel like it *sigh*.  My weight loss has proved it also by not exercising .I'm not gaining but not losing either .

If you can find a buddy to go with you that works really well. That way you dont let each other down and you have to hold yourself accountable because somebody else is relying on you . I miss my workout buddy she went back to work and now I have nobody to workout with .

Like I said before just get up  and do it no matter what.  Me personally, I wish my Zumba was in the mornings because I would be more accountable to go .  When it gets to be at 7 pm like I am doing now that is when I have major trouble going especially now since its getting darker out earlier and colder.    If mornings work best for you then get them done and its out of the way the rest of the day :o) .

Find something you enjoy.  I personally hate going to the gym.  I think its so boring just to go there and workout on machines .  I will not do something I dont enjoy.   The more you enjoy it the more you are likely to stay with it :o) .

I think exercise is the hardest to get back into when you take time off especially when alot of people just dont enjoy it , its more of a job to help you lose weight .   I know for me when I skip a day then another day becomes another day .

Once again I'm very sorry to hear about your dad.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

debbie H.
on 9/19/11 5:05 am - AR
I agree with Steelerfan.  Find something you like or at least tolerate better than others, and a buddy helps but isn't always possible.  I'm addicted to Curves Zumba, and they practically had to drag me into it.  It's not quite as demanding as some Zumbas and you get the added benefit of the machines.  I do like to walk, now the burning hot AR summer seems to be over. There is one gal on OH that lost well over 100 lbs and walking was her only exercise.  Today for me it will be yardwork, but tomorrow Zumba twice. Now to get my food choices under control.

steelerfan1
on 9/19/11 5:14 am
Debbie,

I really enjoyed my Curves with Zumba also that is what got me into Zumba  and fell in love with it.  I need to start going back to my Tuesday and Thursday classes. My favorite instructor left and I didn't enjoy the other one as much so I quit going.  I will set my alarm tomorrow and give it another go with that new lady.

My food choices has been my major downfall the last several months also :o( .  I have been getting into the habit of eating popcorn at night and eating to may carby foods .  Need to get myself back on track with that also . 

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/11 5:36 am
sorry about your dad.

personally - the meat heads & aged prom queens that use the gym for a hook up is gross; i found i actually like being outside a whole lot more.

i see that your in LA, my husband bought me a cruiser bicycle this wkend (basket & horn :)) and i rode it for over an hr this morning.    the cooler temps are a welcome to many months in the 100's - so the bike ride was such a treat.   just need a cute dog for my basket.

for me - exercise has to be fun or it's not going to happen, at least with consistency.

again, sorry about your dad.

Yelena K.
on 9/19/11 5:55 am - Plymouth, MN
 I hate exercise but for the last 3 weeks, I've been hard at it. How did I get back into it? I followed the "Just Do It" idea. Just start.. doesn't matter what or where or how... just go somewhere and make that 30 minutes your 'workout' time. Run around in circles, dance, go to the gym and jump around... it's your choice. Just do it. 

2019: 11 years out and maintaining a loss of 150lbs.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

www.facebook.com/morethanmyweight

www.youtube.com/morethanmyweight

Hermosa L
on 9/19/11 8:03 am
I lost my dad in Dec of last year and it hasn't been easy losing the weight I gained from greving. But Ive lost a little more than 1/2 so I'm getting there.

I hate to run and I do it but I don't love it and I don't do it often. I love the elliptical and zumba and a bunch of other things but I do things I don't like to like the stationary bike and stairs.

I would start off slow and just walk or elliptical.. just remember to challenge yourself you should be out of breath and get a sweaty going.. not pass out out of breath.. but you know what I mean.. make sure your challenging yourself.

Good luck.. (sorry about your dad.. hardest thing to go through I know)
dianeg49
on 9/19/11 1:12 pm
I love to walk and I have a little dog that likes it as much as I do. We get up every morning and walk at 7:30. That way just in case the day gets crazy I have already put in 50mins of exercise.
I also love aquacise class. It is amazing that you can work out hard enough to sweat in the water. It is alot of fun.
Dianeg49            
vlp1968
on 9/20/11 9:30 pm
That's great you want to get an excersise program going. It's so tough to get started, but it will become a matter of routine. It took me 4 months postop to hit the gym. I started out walking 20 minutes on the treadmill at a slow pace. I gradually increased duration/intensity. I now jog on the treadmill for 30 or walk briskly for 45 on an incline. Get moving! You can do it! Best wishes.
Most Active