self payer and have the money for sleeve, would you still chosse the band?

tamou37
on 12/20/11 11:30 pm - Toronto/Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Hi guys. if you are self payer and have the money to pay for the sleeve. would you still choose the band. hearing and reading all these band complications putting me down. not sure if sleeve is better option for me.

Sleeved on 26/02/12 By Doctor Al Taie in Dubai

Bette B.
on 12/20/11 11:51 pm
 Speaking strictly for ME, I would still want the band. I'm still not comfortable losing 70-80 percent of my stomach.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/11 12:11 am
no.

was self pay for the band - 15k
was self pay for revision to sleeve - 12.5k

if your piggy bank is full - i say have at it.

tmal66
on 12/21/11 12:13 am - Aurora, CO
I chose the band because the thought of rearranging my insides scared the hell out of me.  Tomorrow my band is coming out, having issues, may or may not be band related, will find out soon.   I would probably go for the sleeve now if my ins will pay.
Kate -True Brit
on 12/21/11 12:43 am - UK

I would. In fact, I did! And I still would, even knowing as much about possible complications as I now do.

But it is a very personal thing. I was not mentally prepared for cutting, removing, rerouting! 

If I lost my band now for any reason, I would either try to cope without it or, if possible, get it replaced.

You will probably get some very different answers!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

LovableLynn
on 12/21/11 12:52 am - Qatar
Having lived with the band for 3 years and knowing many people who also had the band, I would strongly advise against it. I know the thought of having so much of your stomach removed may be scary but I would think the thought of having to go through another surgery because of band complications would be even scarier. Had I had the choice 3 years ago, I would have avoided the band but it was the only option available for me at that time.

Wishing you all the best on your journey

HW 175 KG (385 lbs) - then banded in 2008 - DS journey HW 146 KG (322 lbs)

CW 81 KG (179 lbs) - GW 79.5 KG (175 lbs)

melly37
on 12/21/11 1:08 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
My band has been a Godsend and it has also been a *****  I had a slip (surgeon-related) and needed a second surgery to correc the placement of the band. 

I am thankful that my band has been an accomplice in my 80 pound loss.  However, my band is a ***** and I never know what foods he will tolerate today.  It's annoying and sometimes I give up and go right to slider foods.  Not to mention the adjustments needed to be at the right fill level for maximum assistance....this can be a pain for a lot of us.

Since you have a choice, I would reccomend going with the sleeve.  A lot of people have had revisions to that and are very happy.  Good luck no matter what surgery you choose!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

jessielynn0521
on 12/21/11 1:30 am - Ronkonkoma, NY
NO WAY!!  If I had it to do over again NEVER in a million years would I get the band even if it was free

Jessica

Denise M.
on 12/21/11 5:29 am
Jessica, I am so sorry you're having a rough time with your band, especially when you're only a few months out.  I truly understand how frustrating it is.

I hope your clinic is working with you to tame it into behaving and making your experience more positive.

tamou37
on 12/21/11 1:31 am - Toronto/Dubai, United Arab Emirates

redbabe08, lol, I wish my piggy bank is full. The sleeve in Dubai is almost double the cost of the Band. I had tentative surgery date for sleeve but freaked out the night before and moved the date....honestly moved it twice already :(. Did the blood test and the scan for both surgeries as my doctor does both but I am scared of the surgery and making wrong surgery decision. Thanks

Sleeved on 26/02/12 By Doctor Al Taie in Dubai

Most Active