interesting- drinking with meals now ok??

Evelyn M.
on 1/7/12 5:47 pm - United Kingdom
 Hi All, my hospital gave me a link to watch the "8 golden rules" for lapband:

http://www.lapbandaustralia.com.au/eight-golden-rules.html 

it explains exactly how the band works, what you should and shouldn't do, and I was now watching it on youtube and the doctor says it is ok to drink with your meal? That is actually also against what my hospital taught me? I think I will bring that up next time I am there and wanted to hear your inputs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbdhf44ZweI&feature=related 
Roll on weight loss!

wsmommy
on 1/7/12 11:59 pm
 I was told it was a no-no as well, but my brother-in-law was told it was fine and also told that diet soda (in moderation) was fine too.  He reached his goal in a year and continues to maintain the loss while drinking with meals and soda.  I am still struggling to get my weight off.

It is a little frustrating for the rules to "change" or be different for people, but I suppose that is the way life operates.  I will stick to the rules I was given until they change and then I will want to know the science behind the change. 

Let us know what your hospital says about the change.  It would be interesting to hear it.

Toni

Kate -True Brit
on 1/8/12 12:10 am - UK

I've seen these before. I think they are a good starting point to learn to know our bands but then we need to work out our own " rules". For example, if I drink with meals, i can eat more. Simple as that. So I don't do it. And many people find just three meals and no snacks doesn't work. It doesn't keep many people feeling full and it doesn't keep the metabolism working well.

The UK THG seem to recommend these to people to read, but then they say they are for guidelines only!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

coachgrrl
on 1/8/12 12:29 am
 I don't drink with meals.  I will drink up till mealtime and then leave my glass elesewhere.  I find that drinking with meals ends up in one of two ways for me.  Either I can eat more OR I can't seem to eat at all.  Neither of which is a good thing.  So I don't drink with meals

lol

MARIA F.
on 1/8/12 2:10 am - Athens, GA
As you know my Lap-Band never worked. But I still don't drink with meals, although I do notice a lot of WLS'ers do. However I figured that the concept would hold true for a non-WLS'er: If you don't drink with the meal it is not diluted and therefore stays in your stomach longer. I don't really know if this has helped me or not?  But it's such a minor change and if there is a possibility that it does, I felt it was worth doing.

FormerlyFluffy.com

kathkeb
on 1/8/12 2:57 am
I have to admit that I drink while I snack -- I will eat a few pretzles with a crystal light -- or even with an occiasional Diet Coke.

However, if I am eating solid protein, and I try to drink at the same time, I PB -- the food comes straight back up .

I can drink with slider foods (which I have to carefully limit in order to maintain my weight) -- but I can't drink with solid food.

Kath

crystal M.
on 1/8/12 3:02 am, edited 1/8/12 3:03 am - Joliet, IL
To be honest I never really followed the don't drink with meals rule.  I can't help it....well I guess I could if I really wanted to.  I just never really gave it up.  I still lost 150+ lbs.  I followed all of the other rules....I swear!!!!

As far as soda goes.  I did give that up.  Mainly because I was adicted to soda and I drank an unhealthy amount (about a gallon or more a day).  It was an unhealthy habit that I needed to break.  So I promised myself that when I quit I would never drink it again.  It's been 3 years now...and no soda.
Jean M.
on 1/8/12 4:15 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Hmmmm, that's interesting.

At the OH conference in Seattle last July, several bariatric professionals (surgeons & nutritionists) made a big point about the no-drinking-while-eating rule.  They all said that rule is vital to the success of all WLS patients, not just bandsters, and said that the patients they had who were struggling had either stopped following the rule or had never even attempted to follow it.

I'm like Kath. I can drink a little if I'm eating a small snacky thing - say a few tablespoons of almonds - but if I drink while I'm eating solid food, I regret it because the liquid comes right back up. Put on your raincoat and stand back!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

A H.
on 1/8/12 8:01 am, edited 1/8/12 8:07 am
Revision on 02/09/12
That IS interesting. Quite honestly I don't even understand how it's physically possible to drink with a meal with the band. If I put fluid in there after food it would come back up no questions.  Only now that I have my band completely open could I drink while eating and I still don't unless something feels stuck (and now water actually helps it go down.)

It's kind of cool if it works for people but it seems the mainstay of a lot of the WLS procedures is having food stay in your stomach/pouch/whatever longer and not making it slide down is the key to success.

That whole video made me mad it is so full of misinformation. Saying it is the best development for obesity in the last 20 years and that it works by making you feel "not hungry" not by restricting food, is absolute bull**** I had to stop watching.

Band (09/07) removed, revised to sleeve 2/9/12.

Hislady
on 1/8/12 9:27 am - Vancouver, WA

When I was being diligent with my band I never drank couldn't if I wanted to. Now that my band is empty I can "sip" with a meal  but the only reason I do is because so many of my meds dry my mouth out and it's like a dust barrel if I don't. However I still couldn't take a big swig of fluid with out losing it. I just take a few small sips when needed.

Most Active