Questions about drug use after the surgery?

Bri12345
on 2/22/12 11:54 am
 I am hoping for some answers and hopefully not a lot of flack... I'm 22 and I am in a program that makes me a candidate for weight loss surgery. I am not hugely overweight, at about a size 16 and BMI of 34. I have PCOS though, which makes me a candidate

Anyways... I'm young and I do like going out with friends. Occasionally we smoke weed. Because of the 'munchies', I will probably stop smoking after surgery. But my question is, what about other drugs? Specifically, MDMA (ecstasy)? I know most people's attitude is just not to do it. But I don't want to give up all the fun from my life. We use M maybe once every two months. Usually I take 2 pills. M doesn't make you hungry, in fact it makes food pretty repulsive for a few days. 

Do you think it is okay to use it after the surgery? I usually take it on an empty stomach anyways. What most concerns me is how much water I can drink since you need to stay hydrated while you're dancing that much when using. 

If anyone knows about this, I would appreciate some answers. I don't know where else to ask. 

Thanks. 
grannymedic1
on 2/22/12 11:10 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I can't speak to this question directly but you might try posting on the main forum or the wls in your 20's forum. The latter is probably a quiet forum but you may get some feedback. I can tell you about one thing I know about wls and that is referring to alcohol use. Most find out they are cheap drunks! The alcohol hits sooner and harder.

One question to ask yourself is why you want wls and what you expect to get from it. Many find that just wanting to lose weight is not enough. This journey is very difficult and is for life. You cannot just lose weight and be fine forever more. It is hard, hard work. I don't say this in reference to your question but to the whole subject of wls. It is important to deal with all these things before considering any wls because if not dealt with properly many people find themselves as wls failures. The weight is lost but gained back with more on top. Without the proper attitude going in this result is probably a foregone conclusion. No wls will allow you to succeed without a change in every area in your life. Sorry.

Many insurance companies have a one wls per lifetime clause so you would have to face that, as well.
I urge you to exercise true caution and not rush into this.
In your search I wish you the best of luck.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Ashley A.
on 2/23/12 1:58 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 06/27/12
I wouldn't advise to do drugs at all, but I will give you what information I can based on my experience. I would recommend to avoid weed after surgery. I was 20 when I had my surgery so I did do that a couple of times post op. The munchies are the worst to deal with because you can't eat a lot at all. I can't speak for the other types you mentioned since I stopped experimenting with drugs like that when I was 16 or so. I do take pain and anxiety medication and I have noticed since having the surgery it doesn't take as much as it used to for me to feel the pills, so I would think you would be able to take less pills than you were before. I wouldn't worry about not being able to ge****er down, I have noticed it takes my body more water now to stay hydrated now than it did before surgery so just be careful. I would recommend allowing yourself time to adjust to the lifestyle with the band and learning how your body reacts with the band before doing this. After any wls there are things that will affect your body differently than you were fine with doing before so keep that in mind. Best of luck to you.

Realize Band-12.1.08 Revision to VSG-6.27.12

Cheryl N.
on 2/23/12 2:23 am - Des Moines, WA
As a recovering drug addict of 11 years, I would advise you to cease drugs now.  It will lead to harder drugs such as crack, etc.  I am speaking from my experience.

Drugs are really evil for you and it will also make you not cope with your new WLS tool well because weed, among other drugs, are mind-altering and may affect your working the program.

I am surprised that you would be a candidate for this since you are a user, especially ecstacy!!!! My family friend's granddaughter died at 15 years old after first time of trying MDMA.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Dev *.
on 2/23/12 3:00 am - Austin, TX
Well, here's my thought: What is you end up in the ER as a result of ecstasy use? It certainly happens, I saw plent of people on E in the ER when I worked there. And what if, say they try to scope you or tube you to administer charcoal and they don't know you have a band because you aren't able to tell them? People have ended up with gastric perforation due to unknowing or uneducated doctors trying to shove someting through a band that hasn't been unfilled.
Maybe this worst case scenario is unlikely, but I personally would choose not to risk it.

Banded 03/22/06  276/261/184 (highest/surgery/lowest)

Sleeved 07/11/2013  228/165 (surgery/current) (111lbs lost)

Mom to two of the cutest boys on earth.

Bri12345
on 2/23/12 4:37 am
Thank you all for your answers. I think I will have to do some more thinking about this. I have only ever "used" twice, so it is a new thing in my life and that is why I am sad to give it up so soon. Granted, I may not get in for the surgery for quite a while longer.

Weight loss is far more important to me than going out and doing drugs or anything else and I know I will have more fun thin and sober than overweight and high. I am going to talk to my doctors about using weed and alcohol but I didn't want to bring up using MDMA since I know I will just get a "don't do it" answer.

Definitely not worth the risk of dying or getting sick, so I will most likely stop using altogether after the surgery... if I get the surgery. I have my first consult for the program I'm in, in April... and I may or may not even be a candidate! My goal is to lose the weight without surgery, but it's been a near impossibly road so far. 

Thanks everyone. Any more thoughts or responses are appreciated too.
Hislady
on 2/23/12 1:41 pm - Vancouver, WA
Hon I'm an old hippie and tried something smilar to X when I was a wee young gal and I tell you NO,NO,NO! It is hard enough for most of us to stay hydrated without drugs but as you said you have to drink massive amounts of water when you are using X and I just don't see how you would be able to get in the proper amount of water. As you know there is a very real danger you could die from dehydration. I strongly urge you to find a new and better recreation. It only takes once to kill you and you are too young and have too much life ahead of you to waste it on X.
sunshine27
on 2/23/12 3:14 pm, edited 2/23/12 3:16 pm
I think it would not be wise to use those drugs post surgery.  Your body will be tolerating things in a different way. Too dangerous. Ecstasy is always dangerous and can cause a sudden heart attach in healthy individuals.

I think once you start losing the weight you will feel better about yourself and not need the recreational drugs. Your self confidence will increase.  You don't need the drugs to have a good time (you think you do because it makes you more social) with a better body image you won't need that. Be strong and confident of who you are without the drugs!! Please at least try it.
kaytiebugs
on 2/24/12 4:44 am - Flowery Branch, GA
On February 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM Pacific Time, sunshine27 wrote:
I think it would not be wise to use those drugs post surgery.  Your body will be tolerating things in a different way. Too dangerous. Ecstasy is always dangerous and can cause a sudden heart attach in healthy individuals.

I think once you start losing the weight you will feel better about yourself and not need the recreational drugs. Your self confidence will increase.  You don't need the drugs to have a good time (you think you do because it makes you more social) with a better body image you won't need that. Be strong and confident of who you are without the drugs!! Please at least try it.
Because only people with self esteem issues use drugs? haha okay... I guess the only people who drink booze recreationally do so because of low self esteem? People don't just do drugs in social settings. I've known perfectly healthy couples to do X together just for fun, all by themselves.

Different strokes for different folks.
vlp1968
on 2/23/12 11:54 pm
Between the food and drugs, I think you may be an addict. I would find a counselor familiar with addictions to talk to. You can discuss with them the issue of wether to have wls at all. I think you would really benefit from a sounding board. Good luck!
Most Active