Is Gastric Banding a better choice for those who have less to lose?

MARIA F.
on 4/2/12 11:00 am - Athens, GA
On April 2, 2012 at 4:42 PM Pacific Time, boldnbariatric wrote:
On April 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM Pacific Time, c_cubed wrote:
You know what I think would be cool?  If there was a study based on certain regions of the country- or  the world for that matter.   I wonder if specific surgeons or facilities have better or worse success rates? 

Does anyone have stats like that?

Also, I'll be honest, I don't read all the articles and statistics, so I don't really know what constitutes a complication.  There are things that I know without a doubt are complications like a port infection, a slipped band,  or hernia-- but what else?  Pain?  Frustration of not being able to eat certain foods? 

This gets curiouser and curiouser....

Ahhhhh... I just wrote out a long reply and stupid OH software blanked out and made it disappear.

I'm going to make this one shorter.

In a nutshell there are stats and studies throughout the world.  Europe was probably one of the first countries to say yes to the band.  Now that the studies are older they are getting away from banding and going to sleeves.

Chile is not doing banding anymore as a whole.  They have opted for sleeves.  It won't work, they make HUGE sleeves so their people will lose well but the regain will be very significant.

Australia has socialized medicine and it was going bankrupt.  They decided to tackle the problem of obesity wih bands.  It didn't work, the cost of the complications was just as significant as the cost of obesity complications.  Now they had BOTH costs.

Germany is still up in the air, they are checking and rechecking their numbers and last I heard had not made a decision.  I'll have to look that up.

Mexico was approved to place bands in 1991, the US in 2001.  The MX surgeons kept saying sleeves were the way to go but Allergan convinced doctors bands were safer.  US doctors believed the advertising instead of the experience of the surgeons in MX.  Now they are finding it isn't so great afterall.  MANY doctors have stopped placing them and the ASMBS doesn't have great things to say about it either.

~ MANY doctors have stopped placing them and the ASMBS doesn't have great things to say about it either.~

Correct!

ASMBS Bands Get Low Marks

FormerlyFluffy.com

MARIA F.
on 4/2/12 7:27 am - Athens, GA
On April 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM Pacific Time, boldnbariatric wrote:
On April 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM Pacific Time, Kitty_mom wrote:
The band seems to be the latest whipping boy around here. I have a band & yeah I have had a some complications. No,  the band is not for everyone. I had great luck with the first band until a trip to Europe caused it to slip- don't let anyone tell you that a bubble in the band can not expand because of altitude- ever watch what happens top a chip bag in flight?   It does work well for some people & not for others, it does not cure bad habits, but it does make it easier to diet.  As for fills- some people have one or two fills & are good for a year or two. Others (like me) have had to have many. many fills. I know I am not typical. I eat solid food all the time. I hardly ever PB. I have finally learned what it means to chew your food enough. You are done chewing when your food is liquefied. One should do that whether you have a band or not. Talk to your doctor about the positives & negatives or all the WLS you are considering. Look at actual studies, not just the cheer leaders for this or that surgery. Look on line for actual studies which look at WLS. Lastly, ask questions in the different forums from the people who have been successful with their choice. Don't rely on advise from people who are trashing a surgery that they have not had (they are supporting their choice of WLS) or those who have had a revision (they have had a bad experience that can effect their opinions.)
 I have a friend who has the lap-band and 2 years out, supported her daughter to get one too.
30% of WLS patients are not successful no matter what WLS they choose (with the possible exception of DS but it has it's own issues). 
Good luck in making the best decision for you.

~~Lastly, ask questions in the different forums from the people who have been successful with their choice. Don't rely on advise from people who are trashing a surgery that they have not had (they are supporting their choice of WLS) or those who have had a revision (they have had a bad experience that can effect their opinions.)~~

Whoa, wait a minute!  So people should just listen to the cheerleaders and ignore the majority, those that actually experienced the band sometimes for years and years?  So those that got to goal with the band but lost it anyway should be dismissed?  What in the world make your experiences more valid than mine?  How are your views less colored than mine?

If this isn't the worst advice I have ever read, I don't know what is.

Most of those that had a band and lost it through no fault of their own are the ones WITH the stats and studies.  We are the ones posting them constantly for the mere purpose that people can make truly informed decisions.

Lap band success stats are inflated merely by decreasing the required weight loss to be successful.  If a banded person loses a mere 40% of their EXCESS weight they are considered a success.  That still leaves them morbidly obese.  The other surgery types have higher weight loss % requirements to be successful.  That is sheer manipulation of numbers to put the band in a better light.  So that throws out your silly claim that 30% of all WLS types except DS fail.  And btw, just for your info, 2-3% of DSers fail.

When I was looking to have a revision I already knew about the surgery types.  My next step was to go out looking for those with complications and problems.  Not just the 2 month post op cheerleaders.  Or the 1 year post op cheerleaders.  They haven't even had the surgery type long enough to statistically have serious complications.  I wanted to know what could happen, what is possible, what to look for, how does it affect their quality of life, was it fixable.  I damn sure didn't want puppy dogs and roses inserted in my bottom.  I wanted real life personal experiences and for you to suggest that others not do this is nothing short of shameful to those researching.

I have a ton of friends that have/had bands.  All but two have had them removed and revised to something else and 2 can't afford it and live in misery sleeping in chairs because like many a few years post op, they can't lay flat anymore with an empty band due to horrific reflux and esophageal problems.  And you, you boast of having a friend that suggested her daughter get a band.

Bleh.

~Whoa, wait a minute!  So people should just listen to the cheerleaders and ignore the majority, those that actually experienced the band sometimes for years and years?  So those that got to goal with the band but lost it anyway should be dismissed?  What in the world make your experiences more valid than mine?  How are your views less colored than mine?

If this isn't the worst advice I have ever read, I don't know what is.~

Isn't that kind of like her saying..: Go research Agent Orange............But only ask the ones that didn't get cancer from it! Or: Go research thalidomide............But only ask those that didn't have horrible deformities from it! Oh that! That makes a lot of sense! LMAO!

Yeah that really WORKS!

FormerlyFluffy.com

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/12 2:16 pm - Mexico
On April 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM Pacific Time, MARIA F. wrote:
On April 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM Pacific Time, boldnbariatric wrote:
On April 2, 2012 at 11:18 AM Pacific Time, Kitty_mom wrote:
The band seems to be the latest whipping boy around here. I have a band & yeah I have had a some complications. No,  the band is not for everyone. I had great luck with the first band until a trip to Europe caused it to slip- don't let anyone tell you that a bubble in the band can not expand because of altitude- ever watch what happens top a chip bag in flight?   It does work well for some people & not for others, it does not cure bad habits, but it does make it easier to diet.  As for fills- some people have one or two fills & are good for a year or two. Others (like me) have had to have many. many fills. I know I am not typical. I eat solid food all the time. I hardly ever PB. I have finally learned what it means to chew your food enough. You are done chewing when your food is liquefied. One should do that whether you have a band or not. Talk to your doctor about the positives & negatives or all the WLS you are considering. Look at actual studies, not just the cheer leaders for this or that surgery. Look on line for actual studies which look at WLS. Lastly, ask questions in the different forums from the people who have been successful with their choice. Don't rely on advise from people who are trashing a surgery that they have not had (they are supporting their choice of WLS) or those who have had a revision (they have had a bad experience that can effect their opinions.)
 I have a friend who has the lap-band and 2 years out, supported her daughter to get one too.
30% of WLS patients are not successful no matter what WLS they choose (with the possible exception of DS but it has it's own issues). 
Good luck in making the best decision for you.

~~Lastly, ask questions in the different forums from the people who have been successful with their choice. Don't rely on advise from people who are trashing a surgery that they have not had (they are supporting their choice of WLS) or those who have had a revision (they have had a bad experience that can effect their opinions.)~~

Whoa, wait a minute!  So people should just listen to the cheerleaders and ignore the majority, those that actually experienced the band sometimes for years and years?  So those that got to goal with the band but lost it anyway should be dismissed?  What in the world make your experiences more valid than mine?  How are your views less colored than mine?

If this isn't the worst advice I have ever read, I don't know what is.

Most of those that had a band and lost it through no fault of their own are the ones WITH the stats and studies.  We are the ones posting them constantly for the mere purpose that people can make truly informed decisions.

Lap band success stats are inflated merely by decreasing the required weight loss to be successful.  If a banded person loses a mere 40% of their EXCESS weight they are considered a success.  That still leaves them morbidly obese.  The other surgery types have higher weight loss % requirements to be successful.  That is sheer manipulation of numbers to put the band in a better light.  So that throws out your silly claim that 30% of all WLS types except DS fail.  And btw, just for your info, 2-3% of DSers fail.

When I was looking to have a revision I already knew about the surgery types.  My next step was to go out looking for those with complications and problems.  Not just the 2 month post op cheerleaders.  Or the 1 year post op cheerleaders.  They haven't even had the surgery type long enough to statistically have serious complications.  I wanted to know what could happen, what is possible, what to look for, how does it affect their quality of life, was it fixable.  I damn sure didn't want puppy dogs and roses inserted in my bottom.  I wanted real life personal experiences and for you to suggest that others not do this is nothing short of shameful to those researching.

I have a ton of friends that have/had bands.  All but two have had them removed and revised to something else and 2 can't afford it and live in misery sleeping in chairs because like many a few years post op, they can't lay flat anymore with an empty band due to horrific reflux and esophageal problems.  And you, you boast of having a friend that suggested her daughter get a band.

Bleh.

~Whoa, wait a minute!  So people should just listen to the cheerleaders and ignore the majority, those that actually experienced the band sometimes for years and years?  So those that got to goal with the band but lost it anyway should be dismissed?  What in the world make your experiences more valid than mine?  How are your views less colored than mine?

If this isn't the worst advice I have ever read, I don't know what is.~

Isn't that kind of like her saying..: Go research Agent Orange............But only ask the ones that didn't get cancer from it! Or: Go research thalidomide............But only ask those that didn't have horrible deformities from it! Oh that! That makes a lot of sense! LMAO!

Yeah that really WORKS!

Yep, that is correct.  It's all about manipulation and justification.  Nothing in the world to do with truth, stats, or facts.

Hislady
on 4/3/12 8:40 am - Vancouver, WA
I have but one thing to say about the band

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou!
Crazeru
on 4/5/12 9:34 am
I was a light-weight with 80-100lbs to lose.  I chose the DS because of my diabetes.  It did cure my diabetes, but I only lost 65lbs.  I'm in a size 9, not not a normal BMI.  All my comorbids are resolved.  So, I'm a pretty happy camper.  I eat lots of protein and fat and my labs are good, but struggle with my low potassium levels. 

The sleeve is a good WL tool, but it does stretch out.  Without diabetes, the sleeve would have been a good choice for me.   

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/12 10:20 am - Mexico
On April 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM Pacific Time, Crazeru wrote:
I was a light-weight with 80-100lbs to lose.  I chose the DS because of my diabetes.  It did cure my diabetes, but I only lost 65lbs.  I'm in a size 9, not not a normal BMI.  All my comorbids are resolved.  So, I'm a pretty happy camper.  I eat lots of protein and fat and my labs are good, but struggle with my low potassium levels. 

The sleeve is a good WL tool, but it does stretch out.  Without diabetes, the sleeve would have been a good choice for me.   

It doesn't always stretch out, it really depends a great deal on the technique used by the surgeon.  I am almost 4 years post op and I still can't eat more than 3oz of dense protein in one sitting.  Yet I know someone that had surgery by another doctor and she could eat an entire chicken breast at 3 weeks post op.

Much depends on the surgeon.

Most Active