Since you have had your surgery...how many times have you vomited???

crystal M.
on 4/14/12 8:51 am - Joliet, IL

A question posed by another poster has promted me to pose this question. 

Since your surgery how many times have you vomited?  Please state whether you have had band problems or if you consider yourself a successful bandster.  I am trying to stress the fact that it is very uncommon for a Bandster to be successful and to vomit on a regular basis.  I am guessing the pattern we will see is people with problems with their bands will have a higher rate of vomiting than people that are successful....I'm sure people are thinking...DUH.  But obviously there are people that aren't getting the message that regular vomiting is detrimental to band success.   

Vomiting is NEVER to be considered a normal part of bandster life.  Vomiting will lead to slippage and can lead to losing the band all together.  Not to mention it's very unpleasant.  I want newbies to know (even though their doctor should be letting them know) this is not normal.  If you are vomiting you will need a slight to total unfill.  Some people have a low tolerance to a tight band or a low tolerance the band itself.  Believe me I have read enough stories on here to know you should never just suck it up and deal with this.  Vomiting might be the first sign of trouble.  Call your doctor. 

On to my poll answer

I do consider myself successful and had surgery a little over three years ago.  I have vomited 3 times.  All 3 times were my fault.  I chalk it up to me learning the hard way how to eat with restriction. Live and learn.   

MARIA F.
on 4/14/12 9:12 am - Athens, GA

Since your surgery how many times have you vomited?

I'm going to guess maybe 10. 15 at the most?

Please state whether you have had band problems or if you consider yourself a successful bandster.

I have had no success with my band, but I have not had a lot of the painful complications a lot of other bandsters have had, including ones that consider theirselves "successful".

FormerlyFluffy.com

MARIA F.
on 4/14/12 9:15 am - Athens, GA

Chrystal it's really sad, but some bandsters don't lose weight unless they are vomiting, and they are so desperate that if that is the only way the band is going to "work" for them so they lose weight..............they just go with it. :-( When they have tried everything else and have done everything they are told they need to do with the band and it didn't "work" that way, they kind of just become very desperate and take whatever they can get.

FormerlyFluffy.com

crystal M.
on 4/14/12 9:35 am - Joliet, IL
Yes I agree...my doctor called it "surgical bulimia". 

I know someone personally like this and she did and end up losing her band.  She had so much scar tissue they told her she had to have her band removed.  The sad thing is, there was a time when I was that desperate I probably would have put up with it if I lost weight.  So I understand where they come from...no judgement from me at all.  I just want them to understand the consequenses of what is happening to them.
MARIA F.
on 4/14/12 9:43 am - Athens, GA
On April 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM Pacific Time, crystal M. wrote:
Yes I agree...my doctor called it "surgical bulimia". 

I know someone personally like this and she did and end up losing her band.  She had so much scar tissue they told her she had to have her band removed.  The sad thing is, there was a time when I was that desperate I probably would have put up with it if I lost weight.  So I understand where they come from...no judgement from me at all.  I just want them to understand the consequenses of what is happening to them.

I can honestly understand why they put up with it. When you've done what you've been told to do, when you've been patient and done everything to work with your band..........and it just doesn't work with you..........well I will say it would be tempting to put up with it for the weight loss. About a yr. ago mine got too tight after a fill and I lost 5 pounds in 5 days (I called it the Lap-Band Throw Up Diet, lol). I went in and had a partial unfill, but but were I not worried about the consequenses of keeping it too tight, I would have kept it that way so it would "work". Fortunately common sense prevailed, and I was just that way a few days till I got in for the partial unfill, but I understand the desperation that many bandsters feel. :-(

FormerlyFluffy.com

coachgrrl
on 4/14/12 9:16 am
 Vomiting maybe 10 times?  all my fault for not chewing enough or eating too big of a bite. 

I'm 2+ years out and I consider myself successful.

j_j_miller
on 4/14/12 9:20 am
 I have had my band a year and a half. I wish I would have kept track of the times I have gotten stuck. If I were to guess maybe 10 times. I actually think that I am on the low side, but I can't believe you have only had 3. I went my first year probably only having 3 but I think I gotten sloppy and eaten to fast. My band is pretty unpredictable so when I eat to fast its usually to late by the time I notice. I consider myself a success even though I realize I could develop a complication. I will deal with that when that time comes. I have a 10cc band with 6 cc in it. I can eat full size meals most days. I can eat pasta and bread but I usually only eat a few bites of it. And most mornings my band is really tight, so I usually eat less in the morning. I have lost 120 pounds total. 

Jennifer

kathkeb
on 4/14/12 9:22 am
I am 34 months banded.

I have vomited from the bottom of my stomach (illness such as stomach flu and migraine) 3 times

I have had episodes of productive burping .... Spitting into a cup for hours at a time about 4 or 5 times, so about once every 6 months.

Most of those were related to eating bready foods.

I consider myself to be successful.
My surgeon did a great job with the placement of my band.
I get it checked frequently (about every 6 months still, even through i have been at goal for over a year).

My doc charges me 50.00 self pay for an appointment and another 50.00 for. Fill or unfill .....so it is affordable to see him regularly and just touch base and make sure everything is ok.
Kath

Jholt2
on 5/14/13 4:22 am - AZ

I have vomited more than 10 times, it normally happens after something has gotten stuck. Recently I've been burping a lot and often. I did have some fluid remove about six months ago prior to the holidays. I've gained about 2o pounds. However, I feel great and only increase by 1 size. My issue is the burping and feeling full and bloated at times!

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/13 5:07 am
On May 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM Pacific Time, Jholt2 wrote:

I have vomited more than 10 times, it normally happens after something has gotten stuck. Recently I've been burping a lot and often. I did have some fluid remove about six months ago prior to the holidays. I've gained about 2o pounds. However, I feel great and only increase by 1 size. My issue is the burping and feeling full and bloated at times!

Question for you, did you have a partial unfill because of the holidays or because of problems?

Most Active