Lapband reversal??

Sandy S.
on 4/20/12 2:38 am - Skokie, IL
I would love to know what some issues people have had with LapBand...I had just decided to go with LB over Gastric Bypass basically because it is removable but if there are lasting problems after the fact of removal, I would greatly appreciate someone telling me :)

Nic M
on 4/20/12 3:07 am, edited 4/20/12 3:20 am
The band causes distress to the Vagus nerve system in more people than not. The Vagus nerves "wander" from the base of the skull down into the gut and diaphragm. In a lot of people, the nerves get VERY irritated, causing referred left shoulder pain. Most pain medications do nothing for this pain. It can range from simply annoying to debilitating. I had chronic, debilitating left shoulder pain while banded. That was over 9 years ago that I got a band... and over 6 years since I had it removed... and I still get the pain occasionally. The diaphragm takes a ridiculously long time to heal, if ever.

Esophageal problems are also a very common occurence. The esophagus works very hard to "push" the food down into the stomach. With the band around the top portion of the stomach, it interrupts the flow, causing the esophagus to dilate and "bunch up"... and again, once this happens, healing is slow.

Join the Failed Band group in my sig line to read about things others have gone through, if you'd like.

Take care,
Nicci

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

mrsprez_04
on 4/20/12 8:20 am - Racine, WI
Thank you sooo much your info helped me understand the physical components to lapbanding.
TamaraL
on 4/21/12 6:44 am
sandy

this came directly from the lap band web site.

Band slippage, erosion and deflation, reflux, obstruction of the stomach, dilation of the esophagus, infection, or nausea and vomiting may occur. Reoperation may be required.

Rapid weight loss may result in complications that may require additional surgery. Deflation of the band may alleviate excessively rapid weight loss or esophageal dilation.

Important: For full safety information please visit www.lapband.com, talk with your doctor, or call Allergan Product Support at 1-800-624-4261.

Erosion is when the band erodes into the stomach and causes permanent damage to the stomach muscle or esophagus

Band slippage.  The band stay where implanted but the stomach moves up thru the band and causes major problems.

please understand the complications can happen to anyone.  I had major heart burn from the band even with a complete unfill for months. I would eat and the food would stay above the band and then eventually go thru the stomach and band and caused me great deal of pain. 

Tamara

mrsprez_04
on 4/20/12 8:21 am - Racine, WI
Thank you I'm glad you shared your experience.
mrsprez_04
on 4/20/12 8:27 am - Racine, WI
Thank you for the warning!
mrsprez_04
on 4/20/12 8:31 am - Racine, WI
Thank you for the warning!
Most Active