LAP-BAND process at Kaiser SSF

justjudy
on 4/25/12 5:20 am - Canton, MI
I am glad you are opting for weight loss surgery and hope your journey is a breeze.

I have nothing horrible to say about my band, but I do think the suggestions to consider other types of surgery should be explored.  Talk with your doctor about what is best for you with your particular eating habits.

The band has given me some success, but since it allows me to eat sweets, especially ice cream and candy, I have not had the success that I might have had with the RNY or the DS. 

I would still do my band based on the choices I had to make five years ago, but might opt for something different if I were doing it now.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Judy

gouldsfiya
on 4/25/12 10:45 am
Hello Gabrielle,  My name is Gayla and I've had by lap-band for almost 5 years.  I love it and I'm so happy for you.  You are so blessed to be able to do this while you're young and before you do have problems.  You're not selling out.  I had never been able to keep weight off before my surgery, but it is not the easy way out.  I do not know about your surgeon's protocol, but do whatever he/she says.  Find a support group and start attending now.  The more you know; the better prepared you'll be when you actually have surgery.  Keep an open mind when you begin the process as the doctor may have other suggestions.  I attend an outstanding support group 2-3 times monthly, so I've heard just about everything.  With a BMI of 53, you might consider a sleeve or the roux-n-y.  Although I lost 107 pounds and now have a BMI of 23, less weight loss is typical with a band.  Stats suggest that a 50% loss of excess weight is common for the band, but higher with the other surgeries.  But, talk to the experts.  I have been so blessed by this band and my life is so much better.  Take care, keep in touch, and feel free to ask me anything.  Gayla
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/13 12:15 pm - Pacifica, CA

Hi, I will be going to kaiser in SSF too! Have you already had the surgery? Please let me know. I am 25 years old, and just spoke with my doctor today about it, he said I have to attend a seminar then I will find out more information about it.

Ashley

pineview01
on 9/17/13 8:17 am - Davison, MI

I replayed to this yesterday but, it went poof!  This person has never posted again so you most likely won't hear from them.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active