Anyone had their band removed after losing the weight?

msw2003
on 7/14/12 5:52 am - Bel Aire, KS
I unfilled my band many years ago out of frustration.  18 months ago i started running and eating a balanced diet and the weight melted off.  I have since ran two half marathons and am training for my first marathon in Oct 2012.  I have noticed as my running mileage goes up the area where my port is is hurting ALOT!!   Has anyone had a tummy tuck after losing weight and had the band removed?  I had my galbladder removed 18 months ago and asked the surgeon to remove the port but he indicated there was a high risk of infection as the port had developed scar tissue around it or something like that.    I'd be happy just with the removal of the port as it does get tender also when doing ab workouts (typically the next day).  Feedback requested.  Thanks
kathkeb
on 7/14/12 6:11 am
I had a tummy tuck, but did not have my band removed.

My port was moved during my tuck, but if I wanted my band removed, (which I don't), mylastic surgeon would not have done it.

I would have to schedule that with a laparoscopic surgeon.
Kath

Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/14/12 6:58 am
 I had a full anchor cut TT and my port was relocated for appearance but my plastic surgeon would not remove my Band / plastic surgeons don't do that. You will have to have a bariatric surgeon remove it. Your stomach is sutured around your band, do you really want someone messing with that who doesn't know what they are doing?

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

msw2003
on 7/14/12 7:09 am - Bel Aire, KS
I actually just want to port removed as that is what is causing me problems. 
Iam_with_the_Band
on 7/14/12 7:19 am
 I think if you want the port removed, remove the band too. You don't want that pressure on your stomach for nothing and no way to adjust it. Just my opinion. Without the port the band is worthless and could cause problems later without anyway of making it tighter or unfilled.

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

pineview01
on 7/14/12 7:18 am, edited 7/14/12 7:21 am - Davison, MI
If the band is just sitting there not doing you any good I would get the whole thing removed. 
If your doing it all with diet and training, you don't need it anyway.  It could be causing you damage
with no up side. If they only took out the port theywould have to plug the line going to the
band.

My port is also causing me pain with all the scaring.  I'm getting it all out as soon as I get approval.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/12 11:38 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
If you choose to have the port removed, you probably should contemplate having the entire band removed.  I don't know of any bariatric surgeons who would remove just the port.

That being said, if you choose to have the band removed without any medical issues that are acceptable to your insurance, it would be self-pay.

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably go back to my bariatric surgeon and have the port migrated somewhere else where it wouldn't cause pain.
-Mari-
on 7/14/12 1:01 pm
I would ask your WLS to reposition your port. I wouldn't have it removed. I also wouldn't get my band out if it 's not bothering me, you never know, but just by it being in there, I'm sure you are getting some sort of restriction. And who knows down the line you may want to have some saline put in. Congrats on the great job of losing weight and getting in shape on your own, hard work, I know. Good luck!
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
msw2003
on 7/14/12 2:10 pm - Bel Aire, KS
I was self pay when I had the surgery.  I don't know if having pain creates a reason for removal that insurance would pay for.  Does anyone know the criteria for medical need for removal that insurance approves?  It has been hard work to lose the weight but totally worth it.  It truely is a lifestyle change. 
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/12 2:19 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
If you were self-pay for the band itself, your insurance probably won't pay for the removal under most cir****tances.  Did you have the same insurance when you got the band?  Does your present insurance cover WLS surgery?

It doesn't hurt to ask your insurance company about it, the worse that they can say is no.
Most Active