Left Side Pain

koverbeck
on 9/23/12 2:48 pm
I was banded on September18, so not quite a week ago.  I have been doing pretty well so far and have lost 11 pounds since having my surgery.  I know they tell you  walk around as much as possible but everytime I walk around, I don't have to walk very far before I get a sharp stabbing pain in between the 2 incisions on my left side.  The more I walk, the more it hurts and it does not subside until i sit or lay down.  I have tried my pain meds, gas relief meds and  a heating pad.  As long as I am sitting or laying down, it doesn't bother me.  Just when I walk or move around.  I did call the dr's office and they think its just gas pain, but it does not feel like any gas pain to me.  I have also experienced the shoulder pain and the heating pad does help that.  It is not severe enough to cause me concern.  I'm going back to work tomorrow and am concerned about this pain in my side.  Any one else experience this?  Is it something serious I should be concerned about?  Any help or tips would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

Kristine
crystal M.
on 9/23/12 4:06 pm - Joliet, IL
It could be your port site.  Not that anything is wrong with your port.  It just takes that area longer to heal and is usually tender for a awhile.  Everyone experiences port site pain differently.  Some have little or no pain, some moderate pain, and some experience quite a bit a pain.   
pineview01
on 9/23/12 6:07 pm - Davison, MI
That is the area that the put all the tools thru including the band, tubing
and than the port.  Than they stitch the port to the muscle under there. 
With all that going on it is sore.  You still need to walk.  Did they give
you a support band to wear around your middle when you walk.  Have
you tried rotating heat and ice?  That is what they had me do.

The shoulder pain is the gas trying to leave your body.

Let us know what they say.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Nic M
on 9/23/12 6:44 pm
Your stomach is situated on the left side under your ribcage. If the pain doesn't subside, let your surgeon know. Gas pain does feel different after banding... and it can get pretty severe.
Hope you feel better soon, Kristine.

Nic

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Bette B.
on 9/23/12 7:40 pm
 Remember that SURGICAL gas pain is different from your run-of-the-mill digestive gas pain. The everyday kind is in your digestive tract and will either dissipate or move along out the back end, if you know what I mean.

The gas from surgery is inside your abdominal CAVITY itself. It goes away in its own sweet time.

You also need to remember that you're had what really is serious surgery and had 5 or six hole*****hed in your body, through skin, muscle and fat. It will take a while for those to heal. Not a LONG while, but longer than 4 or 5 days.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

HappilyRandom
on 10/2/12 5:43 pm - CA
I am about 3 weeks our and still having moderate port incision pain and it feels and looks swollen in that area, I use ice alot and the pain meds I was given in the hospital and sent home with do not releive the pain. I hope it ends soon, culd it still be healing? I don't know... 
Most Active