Are you happy you had LAP-BAND?

wags1104
on 3/27/13 12:36 pm

I'm considering Lap-Band vs. Gastric Sleeve.

Would you do it again if you could go back? What kinds of complications do you have with the Lap-Band?

My friend has it, and she's puking all the time. She's lost quite a lot of weight, but I don't want to not be able to eat for fear of constantly throwing up.

I want the Sleeve, but DH is getting me scared about such a major surgery, possibility of leakage, and if I die and leave my 3 daughters without a mother.

Nic M
on 3/27/13 2:23 pm

I would not under any cir****tances in the entire world get the lap band again. Not if you paid me millions of dollars.

The whole experience was the most painful thing I've ever experienced in my life and I still have damage from it.

The band surgery is not any safer than the sleeve surgery. In fact, I'd rather have a surgery in which the stomach is removed in a controlled setting than to take my chances with a band damaging it randomly.

I had my band removed many years ago... and I have watched SO many people suffer needlessly from this subpar "solution" for obesity that it makes me sad that it's still being offered as an option.

Save yourself a LOT of pain and disappointment and choose anything other than the band. Read the revisions forum. And the Failed forum, too.

Good luck to you.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Hislady
on 3/27/13 2:38 pm - Vancouver, WA

I know the band has worked for some people but I think it has failed for as many if not more people. I consider the band THE worst mistake I've made in my 60+ yrs on this earth! Mine never worked the way I was told it would, I never had a sweet spot, always still had hunger and only lost 20 lbs. I've had mine for over 5 yrs and had to have it emptied 2 yrs ago because it kept tightening for no reason, no fill no stress just tightened. I'd get fill taken out, it would tighten again so I finally said just empty the damn thing!

We are learning in the last several years that the band is indeed as dangerous if not more so than the sleeve. At least with the sleeve they are looking for leaks or problems for the first few months. We have problems with the sleeve and docs just tell us we are crazy because the band looks to be in the correct position. The problem is it can erode into the stomach and still look good from testing. The scar tissue builds up UNDER the band where it can't be seen, this is what happened to mine so you can't see that it is causing damage. Now I'm stuck with a ticking time bomb until I can revise to the sleeve. I so wish I had known about the sleeve before hand.

So many people say oh the band is reversible, NO the band is removable after it has permanently damaged your stomach and esophagus but your body us never the same after! There is a gentleman on another forum who is in hospice at this very moment because his band infected his stomach and other organs, he probably won't make it. Now yes this is an extreme case but it can happen to anyone. The sleeve has been done for cancer and ulcers since the 1940's so has proven itself as a successful surgery. It was during those surgeries that they noticed it helped with weight loss. My BIL had this done for cancer over 20 years ago and he is a healthy 70 something and enjoying life. I would urge you to read the sleeve forum and the failed lapband forum. You would not believe how many bandsters have revised to the sleeve or RNY, but mostly the sleeve because the band either harmed them or just  didn't work like in my case. The band is also the least effective and most difficult to do of all the weight loss surgeries. Just don't make the same horrible mistake I did!!

wags1104
on 3/27/13 9:42 pm

I'm so sorry you went through what you did! Thank you SO very much for your input.

pineview01
on 3/27/13 2:41 pm, edited 3/28/13 1:28 pm - Davison, MI

What hislady saidangry

I had the band for 3.5 years and had major issues with it requiring another surgery to remove it.  I now have the sleeve.  I was concerned at 2 month that it was me and I would again fail.  But, the sleeve is working out so much better than the band did.  I am losing slower than most as I was at a lower weight when I started with the sleeve than the band.  I am now 10 bounds lighter than I was with the band.  If your husband would like to compare have him check out the failed band group.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

thinlizzie12
on 3/27/13 2:56 pm - KS
DS on 01/24/13

I had my band for 6 years.....I did so much vomiting my teeth are all capped in the back. I only lost 20 lbs.....in 6 years and not being able to eat much of anything...no lie. 

We all have that fear of dying. My husband felt the same as well. But seeing what I had to deal with for 6 years and being unhappy with no weight loss made me an unhappy woman..which means an unhappy wife and mother. So I thought about it this way.....do I want to be a healthy 41 year old or keep going at the rate I was feeling like I would probably not make it to 70. I had my crapband taken out and went for the DS. I chose the DS because I was already cut once and I wanted the best surgery for me and make sure this weight comes off and stays off for good so that I can be a healthy, happy mother,wife....human being. Just because you think the band is the less invasive way to go.......it could cause many problems. They should take this product off the market. 

I eat lots of protein. I can eat any kind of meats and fats I want. This weight loss has been effortless compared to the band. 

You have three daughters. You could have died during childbirth. Any one of us could have. The recovery from the DS was easier than my c-sec. Please do not go with the band. Search this site thoroughly....you will find many many posts on this site from people who have had their bands removed and revised to another surgery. 

I am just 2 months out. My surgery date weight was 240lbs. I now weigh 194. I am so happy I had my DS. I would never, ever encourage anyone to get banded. My suggestion to you is to tell your friend to go to her doc. Years of vomiting can cause many problems. I was able to vomit at the drop of a hat. I felt like crap because I couldn't get any good foods down....no chicken, no salad, etc, etc. 

I have no doubt in my mind that the DS will get me to goal. If I could go back 7 years ago? I should have went for the DS in the first place. Don't let the fear get the best of you honey. Remember, cut once. 

wags1104
on 3/27/13 9:45 pm

Thanks!!

annie0039
on 3/27/13 10:06 pm

NO!!!!  TO THE BAND!!!!

I am experiencing Left Shoulder PAIN, stabbing ,burning Nerve Pain,and I'm not the only one. I've also had problems with reflux. I've been banded since04/09 and still suffering and researching the sleeve becasue I CAN'T WAIT to get this band out!

FAIRY_5
on 12/16/13 1:24 pm
Got the band 12/9/13. Had a very bad feeling about the whole thing right before surgery, I wish I would have went with my gut feeling and walked away from the surgery completely!!! All I do is feel pain. I feel like I'm being choked to death, my chest pain feels like a heartache, I have a horrible rash all the way across my stomach from an allergic reaction since surgery, the pain in my stomach and left sholder pain feels like someone is stabbing me to death. Worst choice I ever made. I wish I could have it out asap, already.
Nic M
on 12/17/13 6:06 am

I despise banding, but since you've only JUST had it done, I want to think that you'll most likely feel better after you heal at least somewhat. That left shoulder pain can linger after surgery, but hopefully yours will go away after awhile. 

Hope you feel better soon, Fairy 5.

Most Active