Isn't there anyone?

banding4health
on 5/3/13 5:25 am - TN

Isn't there anyone that likes their lapband? I came here to find out about lapbands. I wanted to hear both the good and the bad, but I am hearing mostly bad expereinces. Does anyone here like their band? 

Hislady
on 5/3/13 5:49 am - Vancouver, WA

Most of the successful folks don't post anymore but I know a couple and I'll have them PM you. They are out there, but just don't eel safe posting here because they tend to be given a hard time by some.

banding4health
on 5/3/13 7:34 am - TN

Ok thanks hislady.

Stephanie M.
on 5/3/13 6:50 am
It's not a matter of liking or disliking. It is about the Hippocrates Oath, first do no harm. When a non-emergent procedure comes with a 50% failure/complication rate, harm is being done, I wouldn't let an eye doctor do LASIK surgery with a failure rate of 1%. We are now learning what the true complication rate is for lapband and it isn't what we were told 3, 4 or 5 years ago. Allegan admits to 25% removal rate, the truth is much higher.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

banding4health
on 5/3/13 7:35 am - TN

But that Dr. that posted on here said the band was good. How do you know it has a 50% problem rate?

Stephanie M.
on 5/3/13 7:38 am

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

petham61
on 5/3/13 8:25 am

I'm good with mine, I would ask how much weigh you need to lose and what you are looking for.If you have a lot to loose I would go with the sleeve instead.  I am no where near my "ideal weight" but I'm fine were I am. I went from size 24 pants to 16. To be at normal BMI I'd have to lose 65 more lbs. I got the band to get my BP to normal and it did. If you are looking to go to ideal weight it requires a lot of work i.e excercise, since I am basically lazy it is totally my fault for not having lost more. I eat the same things I ate before but a lot less of it. I do not have any issues at all, except when forget that I have the band and eat to fast.  Oh and I have lost about 60 lbs and had the band since  june2010. You are doing the right thing by trying to get the pro and cons, I am neither pro or con. I don't have any other WLS do I have nothing to compare it to. I would suggest going to a support group meeting by a doctor that does all surgeries and ask the people there. Good Luck

Petra

banding4health
on 5/3/13 8:32 am - TN

Thanks Petra. I'm glad your BP is better now.

Stephanie M.
on 5/3/13 11:00 am

Since its 50/50 you got the good 50% I got the crap side, Petra, lol. Maria was right, it's a crapshoot!

vlp1968
on 5/3/13 9:43 am

The band has not been the tool for me I hoped it would be.  I was either too tight (getting sick on protein shakes) or hungry all the time.  I did loose all my excess weight though.  It was motivating that I spent all that money on surgery, but that's about all it did.  Another issue was I didn't do enough research.  I thought boom, I won't be hungry.  I have a really big appetite so I thought it would be perfect.  Get all the information you can, and realize you will have to follow some pretty strict rules once your banded.  I have had no long term complications as of yet.  I am about 3.5 years post op.  I choose to keep my band pretty loose.  Would I do it again, no I don't think so.  I certainly don't mean to be a band basher, I know that it has worked for many, and maybe it will work for you.  Good luck in whatever you decide.

Most Active