I want to switch from Lap Band to gastric Bypass - anyone else?

Mary S.
on 6/9/13 11:11 pm - Eden Prairie , MN
VSG on 05/15/17
In seven years, numerous fills, compliance with the program, exercise, band replacement, constant spewing, I am fed up and ready to have this damn band removed and go for a gastric bypass. I lost 45 pounds in the beginning in 6 months. on my 4th fill, an inept PA puncture my tubing after 16 attempts to get in my port and I have never got on track again. Fortunately, I did not gain back the 45 pounds, but I want to lose 80 pounds and reach my goal . I have been told my physicians, PAs and other medical professionals that weight loss with the lap band is not what they expected. Any others who have made the switch? Thanks for the information.

Original surgery 12/5/06 - 238

VSG 5/15/17 - SW 213.5, CW 203.5, GW 140

NanaB .
on 6/9/13 11:33 pm, edited 6/9/13 11:36 pm

There are many that have revised from Band to Bypass over the years, but are you sure that is what you want to do? Since MANY long term Bypass people are seeking lap band due to no restriction, the Bypass tend to be most effective for the first 18 months and after that you are on your own.

Go to the revision board and you will find MANY lap banders revising to various surgeries, but don't be surprised to find just as Many Sleevers, and Bypass people seeking revisions too.

Sadly there are no cure for obesity, these weight loss surgeries are ALL TOOLS, and many that get the bypass end up with a host of other issues long term as well as no restriction, but it may help in the short term to shed the weight you want to lose.

Honestly it seems like your surgeons office is failing you rather than the lap band, I had to change surgeons offices and I had a band replacement 7 months ago and I am very happy I did so.

Sometimes banders need help with nutritional counseling and therapy instead of a revision, and finding a great surgeon to fill the band properly where it's not too tight, but tight enough to lose weight without all the vomiting that will eventually cause problems.

The Bypass will give you a boost for the 1st year with malabsorption, but in the end you will have to diet and exercise MUCH harder to keep your weight down after the honeymoon is over.

In the end you will have to do the EXACT same with the band diet and exercise to keep your weight down, there are no magic wands out there-- sadly

At least with the band you have restriction long term, if you are constant spewing and vomiting, you may need to find another surgeon that will fill your band properly, but once you revise you may not be so lucky to keep restriction long term with the bypass since the pouch stretches long term.

Good luck

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/13 12:28 am
On June 10, 2013 at 6:11 AM Pacific Time, Mary S. wrote:
In seven years, numerous fills, compliance with the program, exercise, band replacement, constant spewing, I am fed up and ready to have this damn band removed and go for a gastric bypass. I lost 45 pounds in the beginning in 6 months. on my 4th fill, an inept PA puncture my tubing after 16 attempts to get in my port and I have never got on track again. Fortunately, I did not gain back the 45 pounds, but I want to lose 80 pounds and reach my goal . I have been told my physicians, PAs and other medical professionals that weight loss with the lap band is not what they expected. Any others who have made the switch? Thanks for the information.

I am sorry your doctor's staff did not tell you about the band.  It has been known since 2008 it was not a great choice.

First thing is to call your insurance company and see if you still have WLS benefits.  Then see if you have revision benefits.  Many insurance  co's have already gone to/are going to a once in a lifetime WLS.  So if you have benefits now for a revision, get it done quickly before your ins changes as well.

The very best thing to do is to ask for the link to your on line policy and read that section for yourself.  Many times they do give wrong info over the phone.  If you read your policy you can verify you have been given the correct info and details of what you need to do to qualify.

Lisa O.
on 6/10/13 1:45 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I had my band removed last month for complications with reflux the G/E junction (pouch dilation).  I am considering RNY but haven't fully decided.  The Sleeve is not an option for me because of the reflux.  None of the surgeries are fool proof and as compulsive overeaters most of us can figure out how to cheat our surgeries over time.  I MUST keep working on the why I over-eat just as much has how to control portions and make healthy food choices but having a tool has helped immensely.  I lost over 100 lbs with the band so I have no regrets but I'm finding out just how much I depended on it now that I have nothing to help me control portions.  

Best of luck in your journey!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

melly37
on 6/11/13 12:05 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12

Oh Lisa, I am sorry to hear this.  I didn't realize that you had to have your band taken out.  RNY would probably be a good thing!  Good luck!!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Lisa O.
on 6/11/13 1:06 am - Snoqualmie, WA

Hi Melly!

Yes, it was quite a shock when I realized that it was actually coming out.  As you know I was a big supporter of the band but year 4 got the best of me and I started to revert back to old behaviors.

I'll let everyone know if I decide to revise.

Good to hear from you!

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/13 10:20 am

I had a band for 3 years and had serious complications that caused it to need to be removed. Because of all the issues  RNY people have I opted to go with the Duodenal Switch as my revision surgery. It has been 6 months and I am very pleased -- especially when compared to my band experience. I have lost 42% of my excess body weight, and have not had any issues with food. When I go in for my check ups I am so relieved to not be there for a band adjustment I tear up. My port was tilted and it always required numerous stabs to get into it. My heart went out to you when I saw you went through 16 attempts. Yikes!!

I wish I would've done the DS instead of the band the first time around. The one main thing that kept me away from it was that it seemed too drastic, rerouting my intestines and all that can entail (bowel problems). I have been very pleasantly surprised that I have not had ANY. The nutritionist at my surgeon's office states that those that have routine bowel problems are those that admit to eating lots of fast foods and a ton of carbs (not a normal sized serving, but a ton of them).

I wish you good luck on your journey!

MsBatt
on 6/11/13 8:26 am

I've never had a Band, but I strongly urge you to reconsider the gastric bypass. Keep your pylorus---it does very important things. (Google 'reactive hypoglycemia' for starters.) Both the Sleeve and the DS will leave you with a fully-functional stomach, just much smaller. The DS has the very best long-term weight-loss stats, period.

Ladyintheloop
on 6/15/13 4:42 pm - TX
RNY on 07/08/13

Every surgery has it's complications.  It's all a matter of what you can handle personally.  I got a band in 2007 b/c I was scared of malabsorption.  In the back of my mind I knew that the band was reversible and that gave me comfort.  It slipped twice, so I had it removed in late 2010.  In 3 years, I've put back on all my weight so now I'm getting a bypass.  My surgeon won't perform DS on anyone with a BMI below 50.

In my opinion, you don't have enough weight to lose that would require a bypass, maybe consider a sleeve?

pineview01
on 6/16/13 4:02 am - Davison, MI

I went from band to sleeve!

There are many on the revision boards and at the failed band group that have gone from band to sleeve, RNY and DS.  Check 'em out.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/failed_lap_bands/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/a,messageboard/bo ard_id,5360/

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active