New Guidelines for Weight-Loss Surgery Upgrade Sleeve Procedure

annie0039
on 6/20/13 12:17 am

Sleeve gastrectomy is an effective form of bariatric surgery and should no longer be considered investigational, according to updated guidelines cosponsored by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, The Obesity Society, and the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery.angry

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Obesity/38112

NanaB .
on 6/20/13 12:33 am

I thought they had removed the investigational part a few years ago....I believe the Sleeve is a good surgery for those that don't mind getting their stomachs removed, but from what I am hearing the Sleeve is just as good as the surgeon who does it, kinda like the lap band....and from I am hearing after about 1 year...it's ALL dieting, but the early reports shows very good results and one thing I like about the Sleeve, they look very healthy after weight loss like most lap banders.

Original Lap Band * 9/30/2005 * 4cc 10cm band*,  lost 130 pounds. 7 Great years! 

Revision surgery to AP small lap band *11/13/2012*, due to large hiatal hernia. I am hopeful about continuing my band journey uneventful and successful. I loved what my old band did for me and I am looking forward for my new band to Keep my weight downsmiley

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/13 1:10 am

I just want to express that after one year it is not ALL dieting, not even close.  I have lost and regained 60-80 pounds six times in my life; now that was all dieting.  After about a year, you still have a very strong tool with the VSG.  For example, my restriction is just as good now as it was at one year out and I get full on three ounces of protein and 1/2 cup of veggies and stay full for quite some time.  In addition, and I believe quite critical to my success, is the fact that my hunger level is remarkably different than in was before surgery.  I used to experience insatiable hunger most of the time, that is gone.  I now have some hunger, but it is maybe 30% of what it was before the VSG.  This makes it much easier to follow a healthy "diet".  Of course, the VSG does not address the head issues that many of us have to deal with, but the actual physical hunger is much reduced and that is a huge help.

It is indeed possible to regain with the sleeve, but following a few critical rules prevents it.  Here is a list of rules that I follow.

1) I don't drink my calories

2) I don't graze all day

3) I eat protein first most of the time

4) I have a weight window that I am comfortable with, when/if I go over my range, I reduce my calories and increase my veggie and protein consumption. I need to do this every few months to take off 2-3 pounds that seem to creep up because I do the above three rules imperfectly.  The weight comes off in one to two weeks and I am good to go again.

INgirl
on 6/20/13 5:34 am

Adding a ditto on here.. I've lost from 300+ to 155 (lowest ever I could get to, for a couple days!) in my life on my own before surgery, couldn't maintain worth a darn (white knuckling it while slowly regaining, now that WAS dieting..) With the sleeve, I'm maintaining in the mid 140's, with no change in restriction from about 9mo out (2-3oz dense protein, a few bites veggies. I get tons of veggies in, but not with my main meals) and have hunger only when I go too long w/o eating.. My restriction is fantastic, and I've been eating healthy foods, without feeling like I'm dieting at all (including the odd dessert or whatnot, just like a never-been big normie.)

I haven't had any episodes of pain, vomiting, or stuck feelings and am just am going through life like a fairly normal human, just with a tiny fully functioning stomach and a much lessened sense of hunger..

annie0039
on 6/20/13 6:10 am, edited 6/20/13 6:10 am

Elina_7 and INGirl enlightenedTHANKS!!! I love hearing from people that HAVE A SLEEVE !!!!!! SO glad your doing AWESOME!!!!!angry

mrsfloflo
on 6/20/13 6:50 am - Grand Prairie, TX
I had to reply since this is not the first time it's been stated incorrectly that for sleevers it's all dieting. I am almost 3 years out and still have great restriction. Maintaining a weight loss of 163lbs. I eat healthy meals and splurge on occasion. I eat right and I stick to foods that are good for me. I'm mindful of my calories and what I put in my mouth because this is a life long commitment that I'm able to be successful at because of the tool that I chose.
"Enjoying my life and the confidence to experience more!
My support system: God, my husband, my family and wonderful friends!! I am so richly blessed and God is a God of second chances and this is one He has blessed me with and I'm not taking it for granted!!! Yeah

Most Active