2nd maybe 3rd slip

trippsmommy
on 2/9/14 5:42 am - Troy, MO

I have slipped my band for the second time in the past 8 months.  2 weeks ago I had a barium swallow done and it showed a prolapse.  I think I know what my surgeon is going to do but I guess I am looking for confirmation.  The last time in June he took 3 cc out then 6 weeks later replaced 1 cc.  i was doing pretty good until My father-in-law had a massive heart attack in October then has anphalaxis form the cardiac cath dye was intubated for 9 days placed on comfort care and extubated.  He woke up 11/14/2013 with complete memory of everything but he had a stroke placed in a nursing home 5 days later then passed away on 11/23/2013.  All that time I thought my band was tight because of all the anxiety that I was having. I was trying to eat solid foods but was not able to keep them down, mind you I was following the rules eating slowly, chew chew chew then waiting between bites.  I vomited almost daily not just once but each meal.  I decided to go with liquid for 2 days then progress to soft for 2 days then to solids still did not work.  I made an appt with my surgeon which brings me to the barium swallow.  He removed 2 cc from my band and report in 2 weeks.  I called him last Thursday to report that I still am unable to keep solids down, everything sits on my stomach like a rock, and I have abd pain everytime I eat, even if it is soft or solids.  I have been living on soups, canned frui,t protein shakes and bars and am having dizziness when I stand up. He was not happy with my diet and advised I come in first thing Tues morning.  I am afraid he will dierect admit me and take my band out since this is the 2 nd time and possibley the 3rd time that I have slipped it.  So tell me if anybody else has had this experience and what happened so I can prepare myself for a possible direct admit to the hospital as his office is an hour away.  I also need to possibly make a decision as to just take the band out or have a revision.  I really do not want to gain my weight back I have lost 110 pounds since 2010. I am not prepared to go back there again.   

When I grow up I wanna be Skinny!!!

annie0039
on 2/9/14 8:48 am

If your going to see your Surgeon ASK him! talk about a revison while your in the office, he may be a surgeon that prefers to wait for a few months AFTER removal to revise. The band removal for most are actually uneventful, tend to be feeling better hours to weeks after removal. After a 3rd slip I'd be surprised if your Surgeon doesn't remove it.

you might wnat to look at teh complications list in this link .

Complications associated with adjustable gastric banding for morbid obesity: a surgeon’s guide

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038361/

trippsmommy
on 2/9/14 9:36 am - Troy, MO

Thanks for the response.  I was afraid I was right in thinking that I will have to have it removed.  I am so scared of regaining the weight I have already lost.  I will ask him if he has to take it out to revise me while he is in there.  Thanks for the link. I did read it and if I would have known then what I know now I would have just went for the sleeve instead.  Mind you I love my band it has gotten me to goal.  This is the first time (past 8months) I have had any trouble with my band, that's why I attributed it to the stressful events in those past months.  Thanks again

Hislady
on 2/9/14 8:48 am - Vancouver, WA

From what Ive read about others I would pack a bag for the hospital. If he is any kind of a good surgeon he will get that thing out of you ASAP. I'm so sorry you are going thru this but it happens more often than not anymore. I wish you the best and hope he resolves it for you so you can get back to normal!

trippsmommy
on 2/9/14 9:44 am - Troy, MO

Thanks for the response.  I will heed your advise and pack a bag.  I really believe he is a good surgeon.  I know he is strict with his patients.  He does not allow any of his patients to suffer from complications of WLS.  As I said above I was afraid that my thinking of having to have my band removed was right.  I guess I was looking for someone to say something different (I guess hoping I was overthinking this)  thanks for your well wishes and yes it would be wonderful to be back to normal.  I miss eating roasted chicken, broccoli, cheese chunks, etc. Again thanks for everything.  Will keep everyone posted.

Vivian Prouty
on 2/9/14 8:05 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Hi....first off I am VERY sorry you are going through this.    Not being a band patient I can't give you any personal advice but I am a support group leader here on OH and some of my members were band patients who have had revisions.    I have heard that once that the band has slipped it will keep on slipping even though it has been replaced.   As I said I have no experience of this but this is what I've heard from several people.  I personally would seek a revision to a different surgery.    If your surgeon doesn't do revisions or other surgeries other than the band I'd find someone else to do it.    PLEASE get that band out ASAP....it is only causing damage to your body by remaining.   You will be in my thoughts and prayers.   Please let us know what happens we DO CARE !!!   Big hugs to you.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

vlp1968
on 2/10/14 1:51 am

I hope your doctor visit goes well.  Sorry you are having so much trouble.  Please keep us posted.

trippsmommy
on 2/10/14 8:55 am - Troy, MO

Thanks for the advice.  Especially thanks for the prayers.  Yes my surgeon does other surgeries and I am going to discuss a revision tomorrow.  I am a little nervous about going to this appt because I guess I already know what he will say and do.  I guess it doesn't make it any better if I didn't know.  Again thanks for reponding and I will definately keep everyone posted.

gorditabonita
on 2/11/14 11:44 pm - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

My dr gave me less than a week...he diagnosed the problem, called me and scheduled surgery for a few days later - just enough time to get my ducks in a row at home and at work. I had to wait 5 months before I could get my sleeve and during that time, I did gain a lot of my weight back. I was sad to lose my band, at first....but, now, I am so happy. My quality of life has improved tremendously with my sleeve. Good luck with everything...I hope you keep us posted.

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

trippsmommy
on 2/13/14 4:23 am - Troy, MO

Well I went to my Dr appt.  He took all the fluid out of my band.  I don't think I have ever been is so much pain in all my life.  I was almost doubled over in abd pain.  He had me drink water well that made it worse.  So he wanted me to wait a couple of hours before I ate or drank anything.  I waited then I took another drink of water increased pain that took my breath away.  I called his office they sent me to the Er.  CT showed a water bubble in the port tubing but nothing else.  I was still doubled over in intense pain.  I was admitted to have an EGD the next day which was yesterday.  EGD showed a huge Ulcer from the bottom of my esophagus to the top pouch of my stomach.  My Surgeon had not seen an ulcer so big before.  I seems as though I may have had this for awhile but it wasn't really "acting" up until he took all the fluid out of my band.  I was realeased last night with 2 days liquid diet then 2 days soft foods then solids taking Carafate every 6 hours Prilosec daily and pain meds every 4 hours until I get the at least a weeks worth of Carafate down.  Believe me the carafate has been a God send and taking pain meds have helped tremendously.  I go back to his office on the 25th for follow up.  He said I will not get a fill for quite a while so I must adhere to my diet but be stricter thatn before.  He said the band looks good in both the CT and the EGD so he was not going to remove it at this time. (I really am glad because I will not miss much work and I won't have to face another surgery)  You see I am a work aholic and yes the band may have caused the ulcer by being too tight for too long, but so does stress and I have a stressful job just like everyone else.  In a way I really can't blame the band totally.  So there is no blame in this situation it just happened.  I am glad I go result fromt he Band and now from the EGD I am on my way to healing now. I know it will be awhile before I am totally healed from this ulcer, but this will at least test my will power to keep the weight off even with an empty band.  Thanks for all the prayers and the responses.  God bless you all in your Journeys.

Most Active