Bad fill and changing doctors

swiss58
on 4/18/14 2:37 am, edited 4/18/14 2:38 am

I really need help in figuring what iI should do about changing doctors.  My doctor closed his doors a couple weeks ago.  I have about two choices of doctors to go to now.  Both are about 3hours away.  The first choice is a place I'd rather go to, but they wanted $500 up front just to see the doctor because I didn't have surgery there.  Then I would have to do a series of X-rays.  The staff gave me the run around on the phone.  

The other office was so friendly and yes they'd take me.  I went yesterday and liked the doctor til he tried to give me a fill.  He had a HUGE needle and he couldn't find the exact place in my port to fill it.  He stuck me 10 times and moved the needle around all the while he was in there.  Ive never had a painful fill.  A couple times I could of started crying it hurt so bad.  I am so scared now that he could have punctured my tubing.  

Then he didn't have any records on me or even want a history record of medications I was taking or anything.  I brought him copies of my last blood test and told him that my Lapland doctor was really wathinng my vitamin D as it was so low.  He said he wasn't concerned with blood work at all, that my regular family doctor would do that.  Also my old lap and doctor would always draw out all my saline to see that it was still in there and then give me a fill.  This doctor doesn't even to that.  Even as a new patient he didn't check to see how much I had.  I will probably never get another fill from him.  Then he asked how many times a day I eat.  Told him three.  He said only eat when you are hungry and if that is only once a day, just eat once a day.  I was always only to eat a cup of food.  He said he didn't care if it was one cup or two, just to only eat when I was hungry.

Am I wrong to wonder if he even knows what he is doing?  Should I try the other doctor and pay the $500 up front before I even know what he is like.  

Id especially like to hear from those in NE Colorado that had to change doctors.

vlp1968
on 4/18/14 3:15 am

I say get another doctor for sure.  My doctor always removed all the saline before a fill.  I can't believe he didn't do that, and had so much trouble finding the right spot.  You are also right to be wary he was not interested in your medical history, not even meds.  My lapband surgeon didn't handle my meds, that he said should be my primary, but he did want to know when things changed.  Honestly, I would pay the 500 and see the other doctor.  I hope he's much better!

swiss58
on 4/18/14 3:51 am

Thank you I would have thought by never seeing me before that he'd be more thorough and at the east see how much saline is in there. I sure like to hear from you guys about how many meals a day you usually eat too.

Hislady
on 4/18/14 4:28 am - Vancouver, WA

Oh yeah I'd run from the crazy doc and consider the $500 money well spent! He sounds like a more professsional doctor. Pleasant isn't always the best way to pick a doctor. I would ask if you could meet with the new doc before paying the fee just to see if you get along and agree on how the band should be "worked". Tell them you will be prepared to pay the fee immediately after the first visit you just want to make sure he is a good fit for you. Good luck to you!

swiss58
on 4/18/14 5:27 am

Thank you.  That's great advice.

cheyenne000
on 4/18/14 9:31 am
VSG on 03/25/16

Are you close to Denver or Cheyenne, Wy

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

swiss58
on 4/18/14 10:31 am

About 4 hours from both and I don't like to drive in Denver very bad.

Kate -True Brit
on 4/18/14 8:22 pm - UK

Change doctors.  Much more expensive in the long term to have someone who doesn't know what he is doing mess you around.  When I moved house and changed doctors, even though my new doc had all my notes, he still did all his own checks.

i eat when hungry, I have done ever since being banded. There is no right or wrong way. You do what works for you. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

swiss58
on 4/19/14 6:17 am

Thank you Kate.

pineview01
on 4/20/14 1:06 pm - Davison, MI

Sounds like the classic case of you get what you pay for.  It isn't that uncommon for Band doctors to charge a fee if they didn't do your surgery.  Did they say what the $500 would include?

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active