Gastric Surgery

Froggy17
on 7/27/14 10:34 pm - Bracebridge, Canada

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this site. I just found out this morning about it. I am currently 135lbs overweight with sleep apnea condition, severe depression and few other things going on. My wife last night gave it to me quite black and white, I am morbidly obese and for the sake of our children, she wants me to look into gastric surgery. I tried for about 10 yrs now to loose weight. Hard cardio, weight lifting, biking, running, swimming. I am still gaining weight. It is just crazy. I am not sure if it is because of cipralex or not. I take 20mg a day. It has changed my mood and saved my life two years ago. Otherwise, I wouldn't be writing those words. Never ever in my life have I ask for help but I am lost now. I don't know where to start, what to do and where to look. I don't have insurance that will cover the cost and If I have to go to the back to save my life, I will. I am currently ready everything I can on all the type of surgery. Please, if you have a minute, let me know how yours went or any recommendation. 

Thank you for your time

Froggy17

Hislady
on 7/28/14 4:55 am - Vancouver, WA

I beg you to not even  consider the lap band as it is only good for about 10 years and then needs to come out. It is the least effective form of weight loss surgery and most people don't lose anywhere near the amount of weight they need to. There have been a few who have but I believe they were just ready to lose and would have done it with or with out the lap band.  I would urge you to research the VSG or DS both are very effective and don't require fills and unfills like the band does. The band causes serious damage to the stomach and much of it is not reversible. You should check under the forums for the Canada forum since we have different medical systems. Good luck to you!

Vivian Prouty
on 7/28/14 5:56 am - Fort Worth, TX

Sent you a private message.   Check the number next to your user name in the blue above.  Have a great day.

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Bette B.
on 7/28/14 7:20 am

Froggy, we've all been there.

There are several options for surgery. You should weigh the pros and cons of each one, discuss them with your surgeon, and decide which one will be most likely to give you the results you want based on your needs and lifestyle.

You may want to post this one the main OH board, where you might get more responses. If you want specific details on life with a band, I'll be happy to help you!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

cheyenne000
on 7/28/14 1:12 pm
VSG on 03/25/16

I agree with Bette, do your research and talk to your doctor. The band does have a lot of maintenance so definitely weigh your options. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

pineview01
on 8/5/14 2:23 pm - Davison, MI

If you are self pay the band would be your last choice.  It takes the most after care to be successful.  You need to get fill and unfills and follow up closely with the center.  Check out the other WLS boards.  I had a band for 4 years and than was able to get it removed due to all the medical problems.  I now have the sleeve and am happy with the results and life.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active