Not losing weight feeling discouraged

Braydensmommy
on 7/28/14 6:22 am

I had surgery on july 11th and as of to day i have only lost 2 pounds. im feeling very discouraged. Has anyone else had problems losing weight the few weeks after surgery?

Hislady
on 7/28/14 11:03 am - Vancouver, WA

Until you get a few fills you may not lose any weight. They also fill you full of fluids during surgery so some people actually gain right after surgey. You are probably also on a liquid or mushies stage of food and won't feel much fullness until you get on solid foods. Just give it time, the band takes much longer to lose weight than other surgeries.

Kate -True Brit
on 7/29/14 12:00 am - UK

It is very common not to lose much in the couple of weeks after surgery. Banded people don't lose fast anyway and when you factor in any loss on the pre-op diet, the effect of surgery, the odd diet you are currently following, it can happen that way. I know it must feel disappointing but just persevere! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Bette B.
on 7/29/14 12:09 am

One word advice: relax.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

ladygodiva1228
on 7/29/14 12:51 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Besides what the other wonderful ladies already said can I ask if you were expecting to lose weight as if you had the sleeve, bypass or DS? 

Sometimes when one gets the band they may think because it is a WLS that they will lose quickly.  Unfortunately with the band it does take time, patience, and fills.  Don't get discouraged make sure you are seeing your doctor for follow-ups and don't get to aggressive with your fills thinking you will lose weight faster.

That is a mistake that some make and it can lead to complications.  A friend of mine did just that and granted she did lose the weight, but after two slips her doctor told her the band had to come out due to all the damage SHE did I want to stress that it was her fault as her daily vomiting was what caused the bands to slip.  She wanted to stay thin so had her band so tight that she couldn't even take her pills until the afternoon.  Now she is revised to the RNY and is already drinking alcohol daily at only 6 months out.  I try to be nice, but can't stand watching people set themselves up for failure. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Tara R.
on 8/7/14 2:25 pm - CA

Relax! You didn't gain it over night. You won't lose it over night. The band is a tool and you have to know that going in. The weight will start coming off. Give it time and work with it. I hope you get the results you want!

56sunShine14
on 8/14/14 1:11 am, edited 8/14/14 1:12 am

Yeah.....no matter what WLS she has, your friend, she isn't going to do what it takes.  Waste of money.  Has she thought about AA?

talking about ladygodivas friend, not the OP.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

trfear01
on 8/14/14 12:40 am

I completely understand how you feel. I had surgery 6/25 and have lost 15lbs. I am stuck. Not loosing not gaining.  I have had one fill but felt no restriction after I had it. My 2nd fill is August 26th. Hoping the 2nd fill has more effect.

Teresa

Most Active