Just checking in after lapband installed 9 years ago

Keith
on 8/22/14 12:19 pm - Casco, WI

Well as of today I have lost 160 lbs in 9 years and still losing small amounts . It has not been easy but without the band installed on me I would not be here today telling you about me. Held my weight for 2 1/2 years when my wife had some strokes but that worked out great . she is back to 99 % .

It is not easy to put up with but talk to your doctor if you are having problems. They helped me thru a lot of them and made it much easier to work with.

Good luck to all and hope you had the success I have had.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/22/14 6:25 pm - UK

Hi, Keith. Glad it is still going well.  It often looks on here as if there are almost no vets! I know from real life that there are lots of us still around (8 1/4 years for me). 

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Lori S.
on 8/22/14 11:25 pm - MI

Glads things are going so well for you!  I myself am approaching 7 yrs and have had absolutely no issues what so ever.  I've been off this site for several years now due to so much negativity and just being too busy.  Just checked in to see how everyone was doing and to ask a question myself on the lap band grad forum.  Hope you continue to have great success!

vlp1968
on 8/23/14 12:54 am

Great!  I am 5 years out with no issues, except not tolerating certain things early in the day.  They are things I shouldn't be eating anyway lol.  I think you are absolutely right that people need to work with their dr's.  So many times I think people stay away because they are embarrassed they haven't made more progress or have regained some weight.  They have seen it all I am sure.  Good luck, hope all continues to go so well.

Bette B.
on 8/23/14 1:08 am

Hi, Kevin! I'm coming up on 11 years (December) and still maintaining a 170+ loss. It's always good to see another old-timer checking in!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

pdmatuske1
on 8/24/14 7:08 am - Ellicott City, MD

Unfortunately my lap band procedure had less than a happy ending.  True that I lost 96 pounds in about 5 months, and that was without the band being tightened.  But once I asked for it to be slightly tightened, that adjustment did not go well.  The adjustment was not right and consequently I began losing the ability to get food down.  (My lap band insertion was done in August 2007).  It got to the point in summer 2009 that I was living on milkshakes and frappachinos, which sounds like it would be delicious, but you can't live on those. Finally in November 2009, following a vacation when I had experienced serious discomfort and some dehydration, I went to our local emergency room, after some projectile vomiting of what seemed like bile.  After testing, the doctors determined there was a problem with how the esophagus was or was not working, so they decided to remove the lapband.  Prior to this, when I complained about the choking sensation after the tightening, I was given the impression that it was thought my condition was "psychological."  The day after the surgical removal, I said to a doctor, "so much for psychological."  Now I have gained back lots of the weight (not all, though), and I really don't regret having tried this approach.  BUT if I were ever asked advice about this procedure, I would suggest that you NEVER ask for the band to be tightened.  I had lost the weight without the band even tightened, and it was only after adjustments that I had problems.  What an experience.

Keith
on 8/24/14 9:43 am - Casco, WI

I too had my band adjusted many times , some were good to go and others they had to remove some to back were it was and thing were ok again. Everyone is different and our bodies act different then each other. My last adjustment back in Oct of last year had to removed because I could hardly eat anything and had acid refux realy bad at night, they removed what they but in the last time and everything was great again to today. The band can only take you so far and then you have to make the eat change on your own. Yes it is hard even after 9 years but it does work if you use it right and work with your doctor that installed it.

If I had to do it again I would jump at the chance to change my life the way it did even the bad parts of the surgury was worth it.

pdmatuske1
on 8/24/14 10:24 pm - Ellicott City, MD

unfortunately I don't have the band at all now.  I wish I did.  My doctor was so supporting and excited along with me re my success initially and we were both disappointed I had to have it removed.  I think it is a great procedure but I probably had an esophagus issue beforehand that just got exacerbated.  A great recommendation from the doctor was to use the website  fitday.com. I still use it but need to get back on track.

monica37
on 8/25/14 6:50 am - Chicago, IL

Im so glad everyone here is sharing their experiences. I am in the process of getting approved for the surgery and my dr keeps pushing the RNY. I have about 150# to loose and I am most comfortable with the idea of having the lap band put in.  I have a friend who did it and she looks fantastic. One reason I am attracted to the LB idea is because you lose the weight more slowly than you would with the RNY procedure. I also think that the RNY is pretty serious. Not that the LB procedure isn't, its just seems more acceptable to me.

Thanks.. I still have not made uo my mind and I am not at the approval stage yet so I have some time to go but I am leaning towards the LB even though my Doctor's office is encouraging the RNY or the Sleeve  

pineview01
on 8/26/14 12:50 pm - Davison, MI

Congratulations Keith!  It is always good to hear people are happy with where they are.  You have done very well.

I thought I would be like you but, it wasn't to be.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active