Lap band support.

ama24
on 9/14/14 6:43 am

Hi all. i had a lapband done 2 yrs ago. The first yr i lost 5 stone then the 2nd year the band was to tight for me and i kept going back and fourth to have fluid removed. 6 months ago i went from 7mls down to 4 mls. I could eat anything and felt so much happier but then the weight i lost started to pile back on. I am due to have a fill this
 week as i want to trye and loose it all again. Anybody suffered the same as me.?

Kate -True Brit
on 9/14/14 7:22 pm - UK

I never had a problem personally but many do.  All I can suggest is very small fills and hopefully you may get a good level. 

This is not meant to be patronising, I am sure you know this, but I have talked to people who didn't realise this - so just in case!!  The band should never be tight enough to make eating difficult. We should always be able to eat most foods as long as we eat reasonably carefully. The band should allow well-chewed food to pass in about one minute. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

ama24
on 9/14/14 9:50 pm

Thanks for your message. Do you have a lapband?

Kate -True Brit
on 9/14/14 11:31 pm - UK

Yes.  All my details are in my signature. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Bette B.
on 9/15/14 12:02 am

Finding the right fill level can be hard sometimes. It's possible/probable that your perfect fill level is between 4 and 7. Sometimes an amount as small at 0.1-0.5 cc can make all the difference in the world. Why not try 5 as your level? 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

ama24
on 9/15/14 2:44 am

Thanks i think 5mls is prob best for me as 6 and 7 was to tight.

ama24
on 9/15/14 2:46 am

Hi were you 376 pounds now down to 196? thats amazing how long did it take please?

Bette B.
on 9/16/14 12:19 am

My weight loss was insane. I lost 100 pounds in 6 months and 150 in a year, and it just kept going. My surgeon warned me that losing that fast would result in some rebound. It did, which was good. The downside was that the rapid loss caused a gigantic hiatal hernia that caused me to vomit almost everything I ate or drank, which caused a band slip. While that was going on - with no food going in - I actually started GAINING weight which, to this day, I still can't explain. My 2003 band was a 4 cc one and, while my surgeon was in repairing the HH he replaced the old one with the (then) newer 10 cc band.

Before and after the surgery, my band were emptied which allowed me to eat more and, of course, I did, which also helped bring some of my weight back. That was in 2008. I've been maintaining what I feel is a "tolerable" weight: about 15 pounds heavier than I'd like to be, but a lot of what I've gained is muscle, now that my DH and I are going to the gym 3-4 times a week.

ama24
on 9/16/14 1:32 am

Thanks for your message. We have had a similar experience. Best of luck loosing the last few pounds. I have a 10cc band whihc is at 4mls now.

Bette B.
on 9/16/14 1:41 am

(laughs) I had 4 in MINE, too, but I went and got a 1 cc fill last week.

Most Active