Do I still need my band?

Dejah H.
on 10/3/14 2:26 am - Central, TX

I am only a few pounds away from my ultimate goal weight; however, I would be happy if I maintained this weight for the rest of my life. I have just had a tummy tuck to remove 5 1/2 pounds of excess skin, and I am scheduled for an arm lift in December.

I have been completely unfilled since Aug. 13th (the day of my tummy tuck), and I have been maintaining my weight even without being able to exercise. I have an appointment for a fill on the 10th, but I have begun to wonder if I really need/want one. Do I really need my band anymore? It scares me to think of not having it, and I haven't had any issues with my band.

Anyone else had these thoughts?

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Nic M
on 10/3/14 2:55 am

If you haven't had any issues, I'd probably just bide my time, personally. (And this is coming from a person who kinda hates the band. I did not have a good experience with mine.) 

I don't know that I'd even bother with the upcoming fill, if you're maintaining well as is. A looser band is a good idea. Congratulations on doing so well. It's not easy to get down to goal weight! Great job!

Continued luck to you. I hope your arm lift goes well, too. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Dejah H.
on 10/3/14 4:08 am - Central, TX

Nic, thanks for the reply. Sorry your band experience wasn't a good one. :(

Hislady
on 10/3/14 6:06 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with Nic and I too had a bad band experience. If you can do it without a fill then don't bother starting the fill business again. The looser you can stay the less damage it can do to your stomach and esophagus. I went 2 years with mine empty before I had it removed and didn't gain any weight so if you can maintain without a fill do it!

Dejah H.
on 10/3/14 7:12 am - Central, TX

Thanks! Congrats on maintaining your weight! So you just had the band removed? No revision? How long did you have the band in?

Hislady
on 10/4/14 6:19 am - Vancouver, WA

It was in for 7 years but had problems with it tightening for about the last 4 yrs. As the scar tissue builds up it makes the band tighter over time to the point where even empty it is tight. My insurance wouldn't cover it so I will no doubt end up having to pay it but I couldn't deal with the pain anymore it was just too much! And correct I had no revision to another surgery.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/3/14 8:18 am - UK

My band experience has been superb. But I agree totally with the others - if you don't need a fill, don't get one. But August is only a short time ago! You may not need the band now but maintaining gets harder as time goes by - for most people, whichever surgery! 

My first few years after reaching goal were fairly easy but since about six years post-op, it has got become progressively harder. Without my band, I would be back where I was before surgery. 

In your shoes, but only you can decide this, I would leave the next fill but be prepared to get one in the future if self-control starts flagging. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

pineview01
on 10/5/14 11:13 am - Davison, MI

Ditto!  Don't get the fill.  Congratulations on the PS.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cheyenne000
on 10/3/14 1:34 pm
VSG on 03/25/16

I would hold out, if you are not gaining and your appetite is under control I would wait.

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

vlp1968
on 10/4/14 1:32 am

I am with the others.  If you are feeling comfortable, and not gaining weight leave things alone.  That is so awesome you haven't gained despite no exercise.  Congrats on your weight loss and keep up the good work!

Most Active