Shoulder pain and pregnancy with lapband

bonitachica9679
on 10/21/14 3:27 am - Huntington, WV

Hi,

I don't know if anyone comes here anymore. I just found out yesterday that I'm expecting baby number 2 (almost 5 weeks along).  I woke with right side shoulder pain. The pain you get when you eat too much with a band. All of my fluid is out of my band and i hadn't eaten anything when the pain started. It isn't better tylenol but it is more of a dull ache on inhale and some shape pains. Not severe pain. I'm trying to convince myself that it is band related and not pregnancy related. Any experience?

Kate -True Brit
on 10/21/14 4:32 am - UK

Congratulations!

The shoulder pain which is caused by the band is more typically in the left shoulder as it is caused by referred pain from the diaphragm which shares a nerve system with the left shoulder. 

if your band is empty and you don't think you have pulled a muscle or slept in an uncomfortable position, ask your doc.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

bonitachica9679
on 10/21/14 4:45 am - Huntington, WV

Hi Kate! Thank you! I remember you from when I was on this board all the time. Shoulder pain from an ectopic is also referred pain from blood irritating the diaphragm so if it is true of the band i guess that shoulder pain would also be on the left side. I did call my doc. It is too early for an ultrasound so they will do a repeat blood draw tomorrow. The waiting is just torture. I'm excited to give my son a sibling and we have been trying for so long.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/21/14 5:03 am - UK

Sending you my very best wishes.  Let us know what happens.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Nic M
on 10/21/14 1:29 pm

Do you still have your gallbladder? When I was pregnant, I developed gallstones and it caused pretty bad right shoulder pain. I was told that it's not unusual to have gallbladder issues when pregnant. I hope you can get an answer and feel better. Good luck to you. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

annie0039
on 10/22/14 11:18 am

Actually referred Shoulder pain can be from anything that comes into contact with the Diaphragm as the Diaphragm itself doesn't Feel pain it refers it to  the shoulder. Due to it's innervation from the Phrenic nerve.

Check out the link I provided it explains the referred shoulder pain in detail , but it's not uncommon to experience that when banded Right and Left shoulder pain :(

http://anatomynotes.blogspot.com/2006/10/referred-pain.html

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Most Active