Banded 9 years ago-need some support!

waited4ever
on 10/25/14 2:26 pm
with

I was banded 9 years ago in December.  I lost roughly 125 pounds.  Yes had some throwing up, being stuck, learning what to eat, etc... along the way.  I have put back on all but 50 pounds which I guess over all is not too terrible.  I did not regain because the band failed it was multiple reasons.  

Sept 2007 Moved to another state - only lost maybe 10 pounds after that got a new doc but never really got the support I had previously 

Nov 2008 broken ankle and torn tendon - gained 20 pounds (lack of exercise)

April 2009 started infertility treatments - gained another 30 or so pounds (can you say hormone drugs = weight)

Sept 2009 pregnancy with my little - gained another count them 50 POUNDS OMG!!!

June 2010 baby born!!! - lost 20 pounds thankfully! 

Rest of 2010 and 2011 only lost a few pounds, and they said breast feeding would help me loose weight haha what a joke and let down!  I was starving to death all the time lol so my weight was kind of the same for that time.  

July 2011 was ready to look at regular fills but my Doc in this city had moved and was not able to reach him and referred to another doc he is OK but does not really listen when I tell him that I swell a lot after a fill and need to be filled with small amounts over a few times to get to restriction.  

2012-2013 got down finally to within 10 pounds of pre-pregnancy but after infertility, hard work lots and lots of exercise, it was almost like I do not even have lap band as last thing that happened was an unfill.  

Fall of 2013- all I can say is DAMN you Starbucks- gained about 15 pounds

Winter 2013-2014 was terribly sick taking steroids-gained another 15 pounds

April 2014- Sick again this time injuring ribs from coughing (would not wish that on my worst enemy) another round of steroids and came to the realization that flexeril (aka nemesis) was a weight gaining drug.  

As of now I have at least stopped gaining weight for the past several months but cannot seam to get started back to losing.  I have thought about a revision to RNY but I have several friends through weight loss support groups that I know that have gained most of their weight back after RNY with no real medical reasons or drugs causing it just back to bad habits.  Also I think my husband might really fight me on it as he worries about surgeries and I have had so many (not just lap band).   So I really do not want to go to that extreme without at least trying everything possible.  

For the past two weeks I have went completely grain free (no rice or any grains) and no refined sugars, and frustrated as hell because not 1 single darn pound has budged.  I do feel better and my skin is softer (strange side effect but a plus ) Honestly I do not eat terribly only on occasions like my love affair with blessed Starbucks (grrrrr), 90% of my diet is whole foods so cutting out processed foods is not something I deal with anymore.  Thinking of trying the ketogenic diet which is similar to what my weight loss support group was recommending when I lived in my previous city.

I really feel like my body is used to running off of such little food that in a way my lap-band restriction has caused my very slow metabolism to be slower.  

As for a fill yes I think I need one but as stated above I have to do it extremely slow or I am going to have issues.  My stoma swells and then I am back to being unfilled (not a pleasant process).  Also I do not have the money to do all those small step fills as I would be paying out of pocket and for some stupid reason here these Dr's insist on doing fills under flora which is another bill I do not have the money to pay.  

I am in my last year of getting my Bachelors in Accounting and would really like to at least get down enough to fit by pre pregnancy clothes (so many pretty clothes and not having to spend a fortune trying to replace them) and I hate it but potential employers really look at you like your lazy when your so obese (which we all know is far from the truth).  

So I am here looking for some support from others who may be in a similar situation or can just help me get my mind set right.  

Thanks for reading!  Look forward to anyone willing to give their two cents worth :-) 

Waited4ever!

Kate -True Brit
on 10/26/14 2:43 am - UK

We were banded about six months apart. My path has been smoother than yours but I can totally understand how easy regain is. I gave done it twice - coincidentally both time gaining just under 30lbs, managed to lose both lots! Here's what works for me! May not for others!

Motivation, I had to get to a place where the wish to lose weight was mor powerful than the "need" to eat. First time was a special occasion, second time was the realisation I was going to have to buy larger clothes if I didn't get myself sorted. I also had a health scare.

Remembing how the band works.  It should never stop us eating but if we start a meal with dense protein, we will feel satisfied sooner.

No grazing.

Rationing danger foods! I love skinny lattes, Starbucks style. But when losing, I make myself, just one, medium size, for my breakfast every morning. No more. No popping into Starbucks.

avoiding boredom - my eating trigger! Keeping busy keeps hunger away.

And heres a motivator which might help you! Don't be like me! When my children were young, I watched other people chase them round the park, play football on the beach! I had to sit and watch! I can never get these years back. I can now do all those things with my grandchildren!  Keep fit and healthy for your children - don't wait for grandchildren!!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

waited4ever
on 10/26/14 9:55 am
with

Thanks for the tips!  I appreciate any positive help.  And I have only had Starbucks twice in the past two weeks.  Both without any sugar or syrups (yeah) funny how going without the extra sugar is helping refine my tastes.  My birthday and anniversary were this past week but I still managed no grains or refined sugar!  so I feel like that is an accomplishment in its self.  

I totally agree with the getting up and playing with my kid.  I try my best at this point to get any extra exercise in I can.  I have been suffering for the past couple of months with plantar fasciitis and walking is painful except in my Birkenstock which are awful to try and work out in.  Even my brand new new balance cross trainers kill my feet.  I think it is the extra weight.  But I am still trying.  I think if I lost even 10 pounds that I would get some relief in my feet.  

As for my nemesis I mean Starbucks I have for the most part been totally avoiding coffee (I love it too much and love it sweet and creamy mmmm coffee) so my morning drink has been english breakfast tea with about a half teaspoon of half/half with stevia drops.   And water water water.  

Speaking of water I think that is another issue I have is to retrain myself to not drink and eat.  I drink so much water it is basically a habit to drink drink drink ALL the time! 

Again Thanks for the support!

Kate -True Brit
on 10/26/14 5:29 pm - UK

Some people find drinking with food doesn't work but in fact latest research shows it makes no difference as it is not the kength of time food remains above the band that matters. As long as you wait long enough after a mouthful for the food to pass (under a minute), it should make no difference. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

waited4ever
on 10/27/14 12:11 am
with

Thanks for that info.  I think that is one of the hardest things I have tried to do is not drink water while eating.  Although I probably need to really reduce the amount I drink with meals.  Maybe getting a small glass and forcing myself to only drink that with my meal.  But again thanks forthe info.

Gwen M.
on 10/26/14 10:12 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you been to a podiatrist for the plantar fasciitis?  I have orthotics from mine and the really helped my PF to heal and then stay away. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

waited4ever
on 10/27/14 12:14 am
with

No podiatrist yet, no insurance until December :-(  but I will as soon as I get it. 

Gwen M.
on 10/27/14 1:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

In lieu of a podiatrist, you might want to stop by a store that sells "Superfeet" inserts and get fitted for a set.  When I was in between orthotics (I had to get a new pair due to weight loss) I used those and they helped quite a bit.  Not as much as the orthotics from my podiatrist, but enough that I was still functional and, mostly, pain free.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kathkeb
on 10/27/14 12:01 pm

What my podiatrist had me do ...

1.  Gentle stretching, use a hand towel to wrap around the toes, and gently pull back for 30 seconds, then relax for a minute.  Repeat for several minutes.   Do this before you get out of bed in the morning, and repeat throughout the day

2.  Get a 16-20 ounce Gatorade bottle or water bottle, freeze it. In the evenings put a towel on the floor, roll the cold bottle with your foot for a few minutes.  The rolling helps you stretch and the ice refused swelling.

3.  Collect a few water bottle tops ... Toss them on the floor and then pick them up with your toes .... Another way to stretch the foot.

I took Naproxen (I also take Omeprazole, for my reflux) to reduce swelling and pain.

Kath

waited4ever
on 10/27/14 10:57 pm
with

Thanks those sound like something I can do.  I cant really afford the inserts for my shoes.  My chiro has told me to run my foot ober a tennis ball

But I will allso try those things too.  One question are you talking about the gator aid bottle that has the ridges or the smooth one?  

Thanks

Most Active