Acid Reflux/heart burn - what to expect

minnie_cat
on 1/31/15 9:45 am

I'll be calling my doctor on Monday but wanted to see what other people experience when this happens to them.

I've had acid/heart burn for about 10 days. Sometimes I feel it throughout the day, sometimes just a few times. Even water can trigger a bit of burning feeling. I don't have full reflux as in I feel it come all the way up, but rather a burning sensation in the back.

I've taken a few tums at the worst of it but wondering if the doctor will reduce the fill to start or just put me on priolsec to start.  Thanks.

minnie_cat
on 1/31/15 9:48 am

just a side note, i just had my three year anniversary in late December and saw my surgeon 2 weeks ago and said "oh, I feel great".  jinxed!

Hislady
on 1/31/15 2:01 pm - Vancouver, WA

Well I started feeling tight and had reflux and had my band partially unfilled several times until I finally had it completely unfilled and that helped for awhile but eventually I had to get the band removed because of the pain it caused. Unfortunately I still have the reflux terribly even with out the band, it has been gone for a year. So even if you get temporary relief there is a good chance you will eventually  need to revise to another surgery or at least have the band removed. You might even want to start looking at other options so you have a plan if it does need to come out.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/31/15 4:09 pm - UK

I have twice in my nine years had times of reflux. Neither time was I aware of the actual reflux but, by definition, heartburn IS reflux, the burning sensation is the acid - if you mean the back of the throat?

it was very mild and night time only but both times I went straight to my doctor and was given a very small unfill (just 0.1 cc) and both times that totally resolved the issue without losing my restriction.

the cause both times was almost certainly a small build up of scar tissue. The last time was about two years ago. 

I hope yours is as easily resolved. You are so sensible seeing your doctor quickly. So many people leave it until damage is done. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

annie0039
on 2/2/15 8:05 am

Your Dr. May remove some Fluid and or give you a PPI because that is what they like to do when a band is tight.

A band can be tight for 2 reasons #1 over filled

#2 internal scar tissue around stomach and band creating that tightness.

33% of banders experience reflux/gerd even Silent reflux 44% experience erosive esophagitis.

But you could have also had a Slip, that's when my reflux started. Good Luck finding answers.

minnie_cat
on 2/2/15 8:15 am

Thanks everyone, I'll see what the doc has to say. I haven't had a fill for 1.5 or more years and don't typically have issues. Good to have an idea of what to expect. 

Hislady
on 2/3/15 5:51 am - Vancouver, WA

That wounds like a build up of scar tissue between the band and the stomach and sadly many surgeons don't believe in that, yet if they do open you up and check when they remove the band they DO find excess scar tissue. The bad part of it is that since it is betwen the band and stomach it doesn't show on any tests so they tell you it's all fine and send you on your way. Don't let them just push you off if you continue to have problems.

minnie_cat
on 2/4/15 2:31 am

The doctor removed 2CCs today and we'll see how that goes.  She said if it gets better, I can come back for a fill and they'll do it under fluroscope to make sure everything looks ok. If it doesn't get better she said I'd probably get an upper GI and see if anything shows. Thanks again, it was helpful to know what to expect.

Most Active