What to tell nosy people post-surgery..

amelia92
on 2/28/15 12:47 pm

Hello! I am planning on getting the lap-band (just waiting to hear back from my insurance) but I want something I can tell people, like my work and friends, when they wonder why I am out for a week or my eating habits change. I am just a private person, but I'm obviously telling my closest friends and family. I was thinking maybe gallbladder surgery?

Does anyone have something they tell people who have questions if they don't want to share they had lap-band? Or if someone says something about their changed eating habits?

Thank you.

Kate -True Brit
on 2/28/15 4:20 pm, edited 2/28/15 4:20 pm - UK

In the long run, it may be easier just to be honest. Otherwise you get caught up in downright lying which is uncomfortable and makes people cross or upset if they find out! 

Having said that, I only told people I could trust and on a need to know basis.  For the op, I just said I was having minor surgery and everyone was too polite to ask what when I didn't volunteer more information. People close enough to want to push for details were the close family I told anyway, if you want to give detail, just saying it was a gynae procedure usually shuts up questioners! 

With my eating, I said that I was working with my doctor and was on a medically supervised diet which involved a few weeks of very limited intake followed by simply eating very small portions. All true! Just not all the truth!  I felt I needed to do that as otherwise people would think I was on a fad diet and under-eating and would start worrying about me. 

Once you have passed te immediate post-op phase, you should be able to eat meals in a way which doesn't draw attention to yourself. No-one eating a meal with me now would guess I had had surgery. They would just think I have a very small appetite. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

kathkeb
on 3/1/15 5:26 am

Well, I would not outright lie and make up a different surgery.

I only took 6 days off work .... Friday for surgery and then the following week.  It was vacation.

I lost weight at a slow but stead rate and told people that I was eating less and moving more which we're both true.

I went back to Weigh****chers at about a month after surgery, for support and fellowship.  By that time, I was losing about 2-3 pounds per week, which was not outside the norm for a person of my starting weight.

Be prepared for people to notice, and ask how you are doing it ..... Usually, I just said, "thanks, I feel great" and changed the topic.

Once you tell one person, you have told everyone ..... You can always tell, but you can never 'Un-tell'.

Kath

hollykim
on 3/1/15 5:50 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 28, 2015 at 8:47 PM Pacific Time, amelia92 wrote:

Hello! I am planning on getting the lap-band (just waiting to hear back from my insurance) but I want something I can tell people, like my work and friends, when they wonder why I am out for a week or my eating habits change. I am just a private person, but I'm obviously telling my closest friends and family. I was thinking maybe gallbladder surgery?

Does anyone have something they tell people who have questions if they don't want to share they had lap-band? Or if someone says something about their changed eating habits?

Thank you.

why do you owe anyone an answer of what kind of surgery you are having? Tell them it is personal,period,or tell them nothing.

Hislady
on 3/1/15 8:43 am - Vancouver, WA

Trust me you won't be losing so fast that anyone will notice anything going on so there is no reason to say anything but you were on vacation. And if you really want to lose weight get a surgery that will really work for a life time not just a few years. The band is far more dangerous than you will ever believe!

Most Active