Lupus after band.

Heather :o)
on 3/1/15 1:36 am

Hello, I am 10.5yrs post-op lapband, replacement bans in 2009. I have always heard that Lupus was a contraindication to the band. Now I  have just been diagnosed with Lupus, So what now? I have been researching like crazy and definitely found two things that are different since all my research in 2004. One being that there is some suspicion the band can cause auto immune disorders, but have yet to find a professional resource or an accurate study to confirm, but perhaps there could be truth to it, I don't know many banders who are as far out post op as I am. 11 yrs ago there were two options, band or RNY,  the band seemed the best option for me at that time. I  have lost almost 100% of my excess weight, and would probably be over 100% if I  had all the excess skin removed. So I'm not disappointed with my results, but I give myself 90% credit and 10 percent to the band. The reason being is I was so ready to change my life, Emotionally I was completely prepared, failure was not an option. However my weight loss has been more a complete lifestyle change only I have a  foreign body in me. The ten percent to the band is that bc of the awful stuck feeling, it has prevented me from things like donuts, bagels, pizza, etc. Anyway in my new research I also learned this is not a lifetime device. In 2004 I was told that it was. Over the past 10 years I have seen so many with failed bands, or they failed the band, slips, erosion, removal and replacement, removal and revision, even a removed band that had mold growing on it. In 2004 all of us on this board were major band cheerleaders, defending our choice of surgery, bc the risk was so minimal.  I  am still glad I did not get the RNY bc of how many I have seen with regain after their 18 month window of opportunity is up.So I am curious if anyone has ever had a Lupus or other autoimmune disease diagnosed after the band. Was it addressed by Rheumatologist?PCP? Surgeon? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated, also if anyone can point me in the direction of valid research. I  already have seen legitimate contraindications prior to banding from Allergan and Ethicon, I'm more looking for info on if there is an actual chance the band could have been a catalyst for Lupus or What is recommended for diagnosis post-op. Thank you.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
kathkeb
on 3/1/15 5:33 am

Heather,

I can't offer you much more than my support.

I have had my band sine 2009 and also expected that it would be for life ... But now wonder.

As far as your Lupus goes, I always heard that it is not for people with Lupus (I thought that the inflammatory aspect of the disease would cause rejection).

As far as developing Lupus 10 years after the band, I have not heard of that before.

I hope you find answers and I wish you health.

Kath

on 3/1/15 11:07 am

Hi KathKeb, I remember you even with no pic I think, your an OB nurse like me?  Or maybe NICU? I did in my research definitely find the manufacturer statement that is not meant for life, I also have a realize band, not sure if there is a difference in the life span but I doubt it is much. 

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Hislady
on 3/1/15 8:50 am - Vancouver, WA

You need to check FB for failed lap band groups there are a few private ones that have info and files with all kinds of information regarding surveys and studies but I don't know how to link you to them, sorry. We were all lied to back in the early 2000's.

on 3/1/15 10:59 am

How do I find these hidden sites? I'd probably find a lot of my old friends from 2004 when we had such band enthusiasm.

Hislady
on 3/2/15 6:02 am - Vancouver, WA
Hislady
on 3/2/15 6:05 am - Vancouver, WA

Just look up Failed Lapbands and you should find lists to check out.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/1/15 5:39 pm - UK

Nothing concrete to offer, just sending support and best wishes.

I have not read of anyone developing lupus because of the band but I know any auto-immune disorder is a contra-indication for banding. A close friend has lupus and, both her children being doctors, they have done a great deal of research. She told me that the start of her lupus pre-dated the recognisable symptoms and her neurological consultant has told her it probably started in her mid-20s - she is now 65 and was diagnosed in her mid-50s  - so it might be that yours started pre-band???

My band is now almost 9 years and, like others, I no longer have the complete faith we used to have in the band being for life. Having said that, all the people I know IRL are still banded (actually, that's not quite true; one fully admits removal was her fault as she kept it so tight she was basically bulimic and the other had an un-related medical problem) and my doctor says very few of his patients have had to have theirs removed. 

I don't know how much of my weight loss was me and how much the band. But as I could never lose weight and keep it off for more than a few months pre-band, it has clearly made all the difference although there are no foods I am unable to eat and I keep my band much looser than many.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Dejah H.
on 3/2/15 7:15 am - Central, TX

I will be 7 years with my band on the 19th of March, and I had Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease (UCTD) when I had the band placed in 2008. My auto-immune disease is being treated with plaquenil, and it was a major factor in my wanting to get the WLS. I felt I had enough problems without my weight contributing to my health problems. I have lost the weight, and I feel better than I have ever in my life. I have never heard that the band causes any form of auto-immune diseases. I see a rheumatologist on a regular basis.

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Most Active