I am considering having Lap-Band. I have acid reflux bad now and have been on med for it 20...

Ronda56
on 3/23/15 11:26 am - Wills point, TX
Acid reflux
ladygodiva1228
on 3/24/15 4:41 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

My advice DO NOT DO IT.   It will only get worse with the band.  Heartburn/acid reflux was one of a few complications that caused me to have my band out after 11 years.  I was able to get my band out and revise to the bypass almost two months ago and since day one NO REFLUX/HEARTBURN. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

monymony
on 3/24/15 6:01 am

I disagree. Not everyone has problems like ladygodiva did. Talk to your surgeon and then he can clarify things. Everyone has different experiences with the band. I have had my band 13 years and I rarely have reflux. Reflux is caused by a too tight band. Mona

Veteran Bandster 2002

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

ladygodiva1228
on 3/24/15 9:28 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On March 24, 2015 at 1:01 PM Pacific Time, monymony wrote:

I disagree. Not everyone has problems like ladygodiva did. Talk to your surgeon and then he can clarify things. Everyone has different experiences with the band. I have had my band 13 years and I rarely have reflux. Reflux is caused by a too tight band. Mona

I have to disagree with you as I NEVER had heartburn or Reflux before my band and up until 7 years post op.  Then one day I woke with a burning in my throat.  Went in for an unfill and it helped for a few months, went in for another unfill and again it helped for a few months. 

Finally I had my band emptied and the heartburn/reflux got worse and worse each day.  Until I had my revision I was on two PPI's along with eating tums like they were candy.  So a too tight band it not the only cause of reflux. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Nic M
on 3/25/15 4:30 am

I never once had reflux or heartburn before banding, either. And now, even though I've been "bandless" for over a decade, I still have to live with the damage. It doesn't matter what I eat, I have acid coming up my throat. If I open my mouth, everyone can hear the gurgling. Oftentimes my husband will hear it and say, "Oh, Honey. I'm sorry. Are you having heartburn?" And I am almost used to it now and am like, "Huh? Oh, yeah, the acid. Fun times over here." 

Like you, I never had a too tight band. However, just the band being on my stomach was enough to screw me up for life, I guess.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Hislady
on 3/24/15 8:56 am - Vancouver, WA

If you already have acid and heartburn without a band you absolutely should not have a lapband according to most bariatrics surgeons. The lap band is a high pressure system that pushes against the esophagus muscles and increases the amount of acid going up. The same with the sleeve only not quite as bad. The only surgery that helps the heartburn is the RNY and possibly the DS but not sure on that one. So the only safer possibility is the RNY or gastric bypass.

Ronda56
on 3/24/15 11:54 am - Wills point, TX

Thanks for the information. the information I had received from True Results it was suppose to help the reflux. It said that most people were able to come off their GERD mess.

Thundergrrrl
on 3/24/15 12:12 pm

I haven't heard that, but also keep in mind that there's a lot of money behind the band (Allergan is a big company!) so there is a lot of skewed information that might misrepresent results. 

Maybe some people have gotten off their GERD meds via losing weight with the band but lots of people have developed reflux from the band. 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Ronda56
on 3/24/15 2:16 pm - Wills point, TX

So glad I found this forum before have the Lap Band. Thanks for all the good information

Nic M
on 3/25/15 4:32 am

I've never met anyone who had reflux and then had it resolve after banding. It always gets worse. (I was banded in 2003. I've watched people suffer from band complications. Myself included. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, personally.) 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active