Hiatal hernia repair surgery came undone :-(

kaytiebugs
on 3/25/15 11:20 am - Flowery Branch, GA

I just got completely unfilled on Monday. It was a little too tight for too long and I just need a break to reset my brain and re-learn how to eat. Wasn't able to eat lean protein, many raw veggies etc. for a long time. I have a lot of reasons for going empty. I really want the band OUT. But that's beside the point.

Anyway, in the last couple of days I've noticed that I'm burping up a lot of acid.

I didn't even know that I had a hiatal hernia until I had my band surgery and they repaired it. That was 5 years ago. But after the surgery I did notice that I never had reflux, even if I ate spicy foods.

But now it's pretty much constant. I'm not surprised if it came undone, considering the number of times I've gotten stuck and made myself throw up in the last two years. I'm also not surprised that I didn't notice any reflux until now because my band never allowed me to burp... and now the acid is coming up whenever I do burp. But it's weird because I don't have that burning feeling in my chest like I have heartburn.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated. I suppose if it's come undone I will have it repaired when I have my band removed (not in the foreseeable future since I'm self-pay).

Hislady
on 3/26/15 9:05 am - Vancouver, WA

The band has most likely caused damage that is making the acid act up. Many, many of us have ended up with gastroparesis or slow emptying stomach and that causes horrendous non stop acid. However the longer the band stays in the worse it will get and can cause Barretts esophagus a pre cancerous condition. This  is nothing to mess around with or put off with self diagnosis. I put it off trying to wait for insurance to cover it and ended up still having to self pay because I simply couldn't stand the pain and I am already on narcotic pain meds for other reasons so my pain wasn't even touched by the narcotics!!! You would spend as much for a car so put yourself and your health ahead of insurance coverage and get it out NOW. I wouldn't wish the life I live now on my worst enemy!!

Kate -True Brit
on 3/26/15 7:40 pm - UK

I can't comment on the hernia as I have no experience. But it was certainly a good idea to get the fluid removed.  Being too tight for any length of time is the primary cause of many problems. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

cheyenne000
on 3/27/15 2:50 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I had reflux for 19 years prior to having the band placed. I had a hiatal hernia repaired when they placed the band. The only time I had reflux after the band was placed was when my band was to tight. Sounds like you might have been  too tight. If you were getting stuck and throwing up your doctor should have removed some fluid.  I feel for you Acid is horrible and really makes it hard to function when it constant.  Did your doctor try a slight unfill first to see if that would help? Mine removed .5 and put me on acid meds twice a day for about a month. I have not had a problem since. Hopefully it didn't come undone and you were just needing a slight unfill and some time to let things calm down. I took over the counter acid blocker twice a day,  two in the morning and two at night and noticed a difference in a couple of days. I have not had a problem since. I keep my band pretty lose and have not had a fill in a couple of years. Hope all works out for you

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Thundergrrrl
on 3/27/15 11:31 am

I had a hiatal hernia repaired along with my band 5 years ago too. I just learned 2 weeks ago that my hernia repair is "rock solid" according to my revision surgeon who took a look at it. So I'd be a bit surprised if yours was coming undone due to the coincidental timing. I'd be more suspicious that emptying your band changed the internal environment in your stomach and for whatever reason, acid that wasn't making it up before (maybe it wasn't strong enough to make it past the tight band?) is surfacing now. 

Please pursue this with your PCP or band doctor because the reflux is a symptom of something and needs to be treated or controlled. Best case, it's just normal but worst case it could be a band complication.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Most Active