Pain in my side for 5 years caused by band

Thundergrrrl
on 3/24/15 4:43 am

I had my band removed and revised to a VSG last week. Up until my revisions surgery, I didn't know that this constant pain was caused by the band and I never heard about anyone else with it until just before my revision. I did actually meet a couple of people on a facebook support group who described something similar. So, I wanted to post in case knowing helps someone else because it sure would have been nice to know for me!

I was banded in March 2010 and a small hiatal hernia was repaired along with my band being placed. While healing from the surgery, long after everything else felt fine, I had pain in my left side. It's basically in my left ribcage area, just below my breast. My band surgeon told me I was probably feeling the hernia repair and it would go away in time. It never did.

For 3 years I complained of this pain to my band surgeon and several primary care doctors. No one really seemed to care and I didn't have the money to just go to more doctors and try to find out what it was. It made sense that it had to do with the hernia repair and I just figured I'd have to live with it. Plus, it wasn't bad all the time, only sometimes. So I stopped complaining about it and just lived with it. 

I noticed it would be rather sharp after I ate or drank and then particularly if I took a deep breath. It would also show up at random times whether I was resting, exercising, or doing normal daily stuff and I never could figure out a real pattern. 

When I asked my revision surgeon to look at the hernia repair and see if there was something causing this pain, he told me it was probably the band. After surgery, I learned that a) my hernia repair was flawless and there was nothing out of the ordinary in that area and b) that my band itself had been pushing up against my left lung. 

Since the band removal and revision (now 8 days) I have not felt this pain once. I believe it is gone, along with my band. I wish I had known sooner. 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Nic M
on 3/24/15 4:46 am

I had chronic left side pain with the band, as well. It makes sense since that is where the stomach is located. It did damage to my diaphragm, as well, which I still have. 

I'm glad you're feeling better now. Good luck to you with the revision. Hope recuperation goes well. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Kate -True Brit
on 3/24/15 6:30 am - UK

Glad you know the cause of the pain and that that cause has been removed!

There are two things which annoy the hell out of me. One is people with problems who leave them for years before going for help. The other is doctors who don't listen when people DO go for help. 

My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Thundergrrrl
on 3/24/15 8:20 am

Yeah, tell me about it! This was an actual conversation with my primary care doctor:

Me: I'm concerned about this pain on my left side. It's been there ever since I got my band placed in 2010. I've done an ultrasound of my abdomen and there was nothing wrong. I think it's from my hernia repair that was done at the same time but doesn't seem like it should be still hurting all these years later.

Her: (feels my abdomen and comes across my port which was on my right side) What is this?

Me: That's the port to my lap-band. The pain is over here, on the left.

Her: Well, good, I was going to say if you didn't know what that was, we've got bigger issues.

And thus ended the conversation about the pain on my left. I should have been more adamant and said Yes, BUT let's talk about what's actually hurting here. But I figured that if she (the 3rd doctor I tried to bring it up to) didn't care, then I must have nothing actually wrong. 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

C J
on 3/27/15 9:47 am - , TN

Some Docs refuse to listen.....I hate to tell them, but numbers do not lie!!!!! AND, patients know their bodies!

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Hislady
on 3/24/15 9:16 am - Vancouver, WA

Thanks for sharing! The band is responsible for so many things that one wouldn't imagine it would have anything to do with! 

I hear ya about the docs I started out 2 yrs ago with reflux and my PCP was just starting tests and such to figure it out and then she left for another position out of state so I started all over but in the mean time I had 1 appt. with a GI and he was kinda like so what attitude. I made an appt with a different one and was still given back to the same jerk. I said ok I'll try it again and he did order a couple of tests that I did last week and I e-mailed him this AM and his nurse called back to tell me he hadn't looked at them yet but he'd get ahold of me when he does! Well gee thanks for all the concern. I'm still very concerned about Barretts esophagus a precancerous condition from excess acid and I've had it horribly for 2 yrs!!

I also have an appt with a different GI doc late next month so if this guy is still being a jerk I'm going to the other one I know him from other issues and like him and his work so there's gonna be a "come to Jesus meeting" real soon if I don't get the right answer from this old guy! He refuses to do an endoscopy because I have bad lungs even tho my pulmonary doc says it's fine and he also wants the endo done because the acid can also affect my breathing. So infuriating!!

C J
on 3/27/15 9:41 am - , TN

Yay....I cant wait to revise.....I take it you are very pleased!!!!!!  yippee.

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Most Active