Fills with no fluoroscopy ?

sheriberi29
on 3/30/15 4:37 am - Cleveland, TN

My lap band Dr has never done a full under fluoroscopy  and I've been banded for 5 years and 7 months. Any one else have a dr that fills by just pulling out saline to check the amount then adds 1 more cc? Or .5 

Hislady
on 3/30/15 6:50 am - Vancouver, WA

Yep mine did the whole time I had my band which ended up being 7 years altogether. There really is no reason to do fluro unless you are having a problem. Many docs don't do fluro because it costs more and many times people no longer have insurance. If you feel you nee a fluro and insurance will cover it or you are willing to selfpay I'm sure he can arrange for it. Are you having issues or just expected a fluro?

sheriberi29
on 3/30/15 9:30 pm - Cleveland, TN

I was just curious bc I went in for a fill after having a twin pregnacy and he said my port felt a little odd , I had no restriction and only had 7.5 ccs , when previously I had 9.5 in my realize band. I left the office after a 1 cc fill and hung around his office for that whole day bc I drive 4 hours to get to him.... I did fine that whole day but the next morning woke up shockingly tight. Could not even keep down a Popsicle with out pain that ended with me bringing it up. It's been like that for a couple of days and I was doing ok with fluids , so yesterday I decided to try a tiny amount if food...... No deal! I started throwing up old brown stuff and worried I have a small gi bleed . I was really just worried now with all of those issues that he should have looked to ensure the band was in the correct position before filling me 

Kate -True Brit
on 3/31/15 1:36 am - UK
On March 31, 2015 at 4:30 AM Pacific Time, sheriberi29 wrote:

I was just curious bc I went in for a fill after having a twin pregnacy and he said my port felt a little odd , I had no restriction and only had 7.5 ccs , when previously I had 9.5 in my realize band. I left the office after a 1 cc fill and hung around his office for that whole day bc I drive 4 hours to get to him.... I did fine that whole day but the next morning woke up shockingly tight. Could not even keep down a Popsicle with out pain that ended with me bringing it up. It's been like that for a couple of days and I was doing ok with fluids , so yesterday I decided to try a tiny amount if food...... No deal! I started throwing up old brown stuff and worried I have a small gi bleed . I was really just worried now with all of those issues that he should have looked to ensure the band was in the correct position before filling me 

Phone your doc. Now! This needs sorting asap. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 3/31/15 8:47 am - Vancouver, WA

Hon in the future those are things we need to know to give you our best advice. Had I known that part before I would have said call the doc right away! Not chewing you out just a tip to be able to help you better next time. Hope you are feeling better and yes call the surgeon and get some out, you never want to be too tight it causes horrible damage to your stomach.

Dejah H.
on 3/30/15 8:13 am - Central, TX

I've been banded over 7 years and have never had a fill under a fluoroscope. My mother's doctor uses a fluoroscope, but I have seen 3 different bariatric surgeon's, and none of them did.

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Bette B.
on 3/30/15 11:48 am

11+ years and never had a fill with fluoro.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

cheyenne000
on 3/30/15 11:55 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I have not had a fill in years. My doc does them with out Fluoroscopy unless there is a problem. My port tilted so when he first started doing fills on me he had a little problem hitting the port but after  seeing it under fluor he figured out how he had to angle to hit it. Guess it depends on the doctor. The cost is quit a bit higher under flouro

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Kate -True Brit
on 3/30/15 7:14 pm - UK

Been banded nine years and never had a fill under fluoroscopy. Not necessary to have exposure to radiation unless something is wrong! And anyway, it only shows that precise moment, we all know bands differ at different times of the day etc.. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Hislady
on 3/31/15 8:43 am - Vancouver, WA

Oh yes if you are still having that much trouble call your doc immediately. You should never get that big a fill when you have over 5 ccs in my personal opinion when you have that far to drive for an unfill. I would get a fill 1cc at a time but I only live 20 min. from the surgeon and he will get me in right away for a little unfill if needed. Also he is affiliated with the local hospital so there is always a bariatric doc on call. so it isn't a big deal for me. Sounds like there may have been more in there than what he pulled out. Get a bit of an unfill as soon as possible and until then try to stay hydrated and get some fluids down. If you can't get fluids in go to the hospital for IV fluids.

Most Active