Leak, tilted port or what ???

tn7393
on 4/16/15 8:57 am

So I went and had a barum swallow to test for erosion and good new - no eroded band!!!

I am seeing my dr that banded me on Monday to test for a leak - the Dr that did the barrum swallow said he thought the port was tilted a little bit and that he could not get the needle in.

Could it be that there is no leak and they just haven't had the needle in right ?

Has anyone had a titled port ?

Hislady
on 4/16/15 2:01 pm - Vancouver, WA

I know people who have had every test imaginable that said no erosion only to find when they get inside that it has indeed eroded. It could just be tilted or it could be slipped or scar tissue build up. It is good to test but until they actually get inside there is not way to know for sure.

Kate -True Brit
on 4/16/15 4:29 pm - UK

Unfortunately Hislady is correct. I am not a doctor and so am only reporting what I have read on here but, from that, erosion does not always show on a barium swallow. The band can eat into the tissue without slowing the speed at which the barium passes. Unlike slips which almost always cause tightening, erosion can cause a loss of restriction which obviously doesn't slow the movement of the barium. 

Tilted ports are not uncommon but I have no personal experience.

i assume your issue is a lack of restriction? And that the doctorcannot access the port to either check saline levels or add more?

i do, however, have experience of a leak. But that can only be ascertained by injecting dye into the port. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

lawanda39
on 6/16/15 10:24 am - calumet city, IL

if there is a leak what can be done?

Most Active