Need some guidance...

sunblume1
on 4/23/15 2:39 am

So I had Lap Band in 2006.  I lost 60 lbs, and have maintained that loss until recently.  I never met my goal (would like to lose another 20-30lbs).  Anyway...I've always had my band a bit on the tighter side.  I'd say over the years I've managed to eat a little bit more than normal but have maintained my loss.  Sometime around Dec 14 and Jan 15 I've noticed a drastic change in how my band feels/works.  I had reflux pretty bad and was on medication, it's not completely gone.  I don't ever feel full.  I actually get hunger pains (although I haven't had any since I had the surgery).  I can eat a lot now, although I try not to.

I went to my doctor to express my concerns.  We even set up a floro fill to see if there were any leaks.  He saw nothing unusual.  He says I just probably need to be filled.  I don't think that's it.  I'm not sure he's hearing me...I mean how can I feel one way and then like a light switch it's totally different.

I'm really frustrated but not sure where to go from here.  Filling my band just isn't working. 

Has anyone else ever had anything like this happen?  Did you find out what was wrong?  How did you resolve it?
Thanks!

Kate -True Brit
on 4/23/15 5:08 am - UK

Have I got this right. You have a tightish band, get reflux but still feel hunger? 

I can't offer answers but maybe some suggestions.

A tight band can cause reflux. After a while, scar tissue can build up which causes the band to tighten and so worsen reflux.  Excess acid can cause feelings similar to hunger.

i was banded the same year as you and I have twice had slight tightening which we assumed was caused by scar tissue. Both times the tightness showed by (very mild) night time reflux and both  times I had just 0.1cc removed and the problem went away. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

sunblume1
on 4/23/15 5:18 am

I had a tightish band (that I could tell was tight), but suddenly without any fills or unfills I can't feel it anymore.  I don't get full.  I feel hunger pains and all reflux is gone.  I'm thinking it's dilation (pouch or esophagus).  I just find it strange because the change seems to have happened over night. 

Kate -True Brit
on 4/23/15 5:21 am, edited 4/23/15 5:22 am - UK

Argh!  One night, about four years ago, I went to bed with good restriction and woke up in the morning with none.  By injecting dye into the port under XRay, the doctor saw I had a leak in the tubing midway between the band and the port. It had to be repaired under general anaesthetic but has been fine ever since. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

sunblume1
on 4/22/16 9:10 am

So I just wanted to update...In July of last year (2015) I had the port replaced because my doctor assumed that was where the leak was.  Well I still didn't have restriction.  By December of 2015 another doctor finally concluded there must be a leak but they could not see it under xray. 

In March of 2016 I had the band removed and a revision surgery to a gastric sleeve.  So far all is good.  It's like have a full time band again! 

Trust your gut! It took me a year of saying it wasn't working to finally get some answers.

Most Active