Ulcer and lap ban

jennhales
on 4/25/15 11:00 am - lehi, UT

I had a brain tumor removed a few weeks ago.   Needless to say I have been taking a lot of meds.  I am concerned that taking meds in the middle of the night has caused an ulcer in my esophagus.  As I feel burning in that area.  I don't live anywhere close to a lap ban dr.

Jen

Hislady
on 4/25/15 12:34 pm - Vancouver, WA

Well you don't really need a lap band doctor, any GI (gastrointestinal) doc can check it for you. You may have to empty your band so they can do an endoscopy where they look down your throat into your stomach. Then they usually prescribe antibiotics since most ulcers are caused by the helio pylori bactor bacteria and they may have you take something else to coat your stomach. You might want to start eating a couple of crackers with your meds so you don't take them on an empty stomach, unless they are supposed to be taken on an empty stomach, it should say on your paperwork. Anyway like I said find a gastro doc and they should be able to take care of the situation if you be sure to tell him you have a band. Good luck!

jennhales
on 4/25/15 12:37 pm - lehi, UT

Thank you

jen

Kate -True Brit
on 4/26/15 1:29 am - UK

One of the issues may be, if the tablets are large, that they may be dissolving above the band which is less acidic than the main stomach, this can cause tissue damage.  Also, eating and or drinking in the night might trigger reflux which again could irritate the tissue.

as Hislady says, your usual doctor can check for damage. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/15 5:45 pm

Hi jennhales,

I agree with you  Kate, if the pills are large in size they may get dissolve above the band that is less acidic. This can be the main cause of tissue damage. I think you should consult your surgeon to get appropriate advice.

One of my friends had adjustable gastric banding surgery, she also having the same issue. Her surgeon advised her to avoid eating and drinking at night.  

make33
on 5/6/15 5:59 pm

I was banded in October of 2007 and every time I take an Aleve (or another NSAIDS), it burns my pouch. My supplements and Zantac don't, so I always assume it's whatever the ingredients are.

I would ask your brain surgeon about it, though--and I wish you only the best...

Carol

Most Active