Lapband failure

lacey_dream
on 5/6/15 11:16 pm

hi I wanted to talk about my Lapband failure and get advice! I will have been banded for one year June 24, 2015 and I have only lost 35 ibs and I am taking full responsibility for it. I work long hours I don't exercise and I find myself eating all the bad food. I recently had 4 cc removed just for a break thinking it might motivate me when I had 4cc removed I was 208 ibs now a month later I'm 216 I went back and had 3.5 cc put back in so now I am at 8.5 cc in a 14 cc band. I can't get motivated I have children so my comfort food cereal is always there. I just I wanna lose I don't want to be fat I'm only 4' 11" tall and 216 ibs that's massive. Please anyone help me I am struggling with the boredom eating and stress eating and I would also like help recognizing what happens when ur at sweet spot cuz I'm not sure I am. Thank you so much for any help oh also I work nights and sleep during day is that gonna mess me up too since I eat at nigh

Kate -True Brit
on 5/7/15 12:51 am - UK

Lapbands don't work for everyone. But it is equally true that ALL types of weight loss surgery require us to have the correct mindset and work hard! It is perhaps easier with the sleeve which physically limits intake (but still allows bad food choices) or the bypass which restricts intake and also causes some calories to be nakabsorbed (but still allows bad food choices!). But all weight loss patients can eat round their surgery. The DS is the most radical and in some ways more forgiving but even with that you can still fail to lose if you live on carbs, 

Unless it is too tight, the band will never stop you eating your kids' cereal!

i don't understand why you had saline removed to let you take a break. Was the band so tight it made eating difficult? And if that was the case, was it not helping you restrict intake?

All the band does -and for many people it is not enough to help them - is slow your eating so that your brain thinks you have eaten more than you have and so no longer tells you you are hungry. It shouid not stop you eating, it shouid not make eating unpleasant (unless you eat too quickly or don't chew enough). 

I consider my band to be perfectly adjusted. If I eat a sensible portion of food, starting with dense protein, and then stop eating - I will not think of food fir a good few hours. If I am around food and bored, I may well want t! I may have to fight very hard not to eat it. Do I keep busy and away from food and don't fell hungry. On a busy da, I forget to eat. On a quiet day, I have to work very hard bit to eat.  I couid aiways physically eat more. 

You have to want to be slim and healthy more than you want that food! You have work out ways to handle boredom and stress which dint involve food.  Over here in the UK, we don't go in all that much for therapy, but might that be an option for you?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

lacey_dream
on 5/7/15 1:06 am

Well I think if I had researched and my doctor had talked to more about other options I would have gotten the sleeve no one told me until after about other options and now I regret not doing the sleeve my aunt Jennifer had it and she is so thin she was like 400 ibs. I am failing myself I'm sabbataging myself and I don't know how to stop I'm actually looking up different low carb shake recipes maybe that will help sweet tooth u r so strong I am so happy for u. I did have trouble eating cuz of bad habits and I'm slowing down and taking smaller bites now that I am trying to get refocused it's doing better last three days. I don't exactly know how to feel if band is full enough cuz let me tell u I am hungry two hours after I eat and I feel hungry I don't know if it's my brain or what but I do actually feel a hungry sensation. 

lacey_dream
on 5/7/15 1:06 am

Would u mind if I contact u just to have a buddy to help me along the way?

lacey_dream
on 5/7/15 1:07 am

I just don't have anyone that knows what I'm dealing with and I think it might help to have someone to talk to that knows and has been successful.

lpglarry
on 5/19/15 11:47 am - leominster, MA

You can contact me I had lap band in 2007 not working to good right now 

lawanda39
on 6/16/15 7:48 am - calumet city, IL

I had surgery in 2006 and it's not working for me either right now.My insurance no longer covers my fills and I paid 250 per fill only to keep ganing weight.Where is my restriction? I'm tight for like two days than nothing.I'm really frustrated right now.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/7/15 2:02 am - UK

PM me any time.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/6/15 7:02 pm, edited 5/7/15 1:09 am - UK
On May 7, 2015 at 8:06 AM Pacific Time, lacey_dream wrote:

Well I think if I had researched and my doctor had talked to more about other options I would have gotten the sleeve no one told me until after about other options and now I regret not doing the sleeve my aunt Jennifer had it and she is so thin she was like 400 ibs. I am failing myself I'm sabbataging myself and I don't know how to stop I'm actually looking up different low carb shake recipes maybe that will help sweet tooth u r so strong I am so happy for u. I did have trouble eating cuz of bad habits and I'm slowing down and taking smaller bites now that I am trying to get refocused it's doing better last three days. I don't exactly know how to feel if band is full enough cuz let me tell u I am hungry two hours after I eat and I feel hungry I don't know if it's my brain or what but I do actually feel a hungry sensation. 

Point by point!  Shakes are liquid calories! Liquid does nothing for our hunger level. The very best thing would be to go cold turkey. It would be HARD for a while and you would probably get carb withdrawals symptoms like  headache and maybe nausea. But they would pass. But if you feel you can't do that, find an alternative, not shakes! Bizarrely, I find fruit like melon is more filling and sweeter than other fruits. I also often have sugar free boiled sweets, many would say avoid these because of sweeteners etc and they do act as a laxative!!  But for me they provide a boost of sweetness.

Hunger, IMO it doesn't matter a damn if it is head hunger or "real" hunger. I still want to eat. So my way is first of all to get busy! Or do something where I am away from food. I might even have a bath. You can eat in the bath but only if you take food in with you! But if that doesn't work, I eat. Otherwise it will just get worse and worse.  Not just a taster, something to fill me. If I am at home,  might have three fish fingers (think you call them fish sticks) which come out at under 200 calories. But something which is solid and savoury. 

If you are eating outside planned mealtimes, it is important to keep a daily total. 

lacey_dream
on 5/7/15 2:07 am

Ok I will try my hardest imma keep you in mind because you have been such a success with your Lapband. I wish there was a button to push to stop hunger or sorry cravings lol. Thank you so much mrs. Kate. And yes we call them fish sticks and here in south Texas we say y'all all the time lol

Most Active