Year Eleven And Still Happy With My Band

Brooklyn108
on 6/24/15 9:42 pm

Just stopping by to say hello.  It's been a years since I've been here, and it seems like all new faces.  I got my band 11 years ago, and I'm as happy with it today, as I was 11 years ago.  I left here, because there was so much animosity with some people hating the band and putting it down at every turn.  I can only tell you my story.  I love my band.  It saved my life.  It has never slipped, never eroded, and never done anything but the job it was intended to do.  I hope you all have success with your lap bands.  Keep the faith, and don't listen to naysayers.  They are a dime a dozen, and are usually very unhappy people in their own lives.  Life is happy and busy now, and I had kind of forgotten about the forum.  That happens when you are busy living life.  I wish you all success, and personally, I think this is a great surgery.

Keep the faith.

Brooklyn

Hislady
on 6/24/15 10:44 pm - Vancouver, WA

Sorry but I'm not able to enjoy MY life because the lap band ruined my stomach and left me with permanent damage.

ladygodiva1228
on 6/25/15 8:31 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On June 24, 2015 at 9:42 PM Pacific Time, Brooklyn108 wrote:

Just stopping by to say hello.  It's been a years since I've been here, and it seems like all new faces.  I got my band 11 years ago, and I'm as happy with it today, as I was 11 years ago.  I left here, because there was so much animosity with some people hating the band and putting it down at every turn.  I can only tell you my story.  I love my band.  It saved my life.  It has never slipped, never eroded, and never done anything but the job it was intended to do.  I hope you all have success with your lap bands.  Keep the faith, and don't listen to naysayers.  They are a dime a dozen, and are usually very unhappy people in their own lives.  Life is happy and busy now, and I had kind of forgotten about the forum.  That happens when you are busy living life.  I wish you all success, and personally, I think this is a great surgery.

Keep the faith.

Brooklyn

That is great that your band has not caused you any issues and I wish you continued success.

Unfortunately the naysayers you say not to listen to have had serious issues with their bands through no fault of their own.  I myself had to have mine removed due to constant pain and heartburn.  This was after all my fluid was removed.  When I went in for my revision it was found that I had scar tissue that had encased my port, tube and band.  It took my surgeon over an hour to chisel my band out. 

I personally would never recommend the lap band to anyone there are to many long term complications that arise and some people can never have another WLS due to the damage the band has done. 

It really isn't fair to say naysayers are a dime a dozen and very unhappy people because of their band.  There may have been some that never followed the plan and blame the band, but a good majority of the people that had the band removed had complications that could not be fixed without having the band out.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Brooklyn108
on 6/25/15 2:24 pm

I'm so sorry that both people who answered had band failures.  The fact that nothing has changed merely means that the people with revisions, and/or bad band experiences, still frequent the lap band forum.  I question why?  I left because of people putting the band down that had gone on to a revision, or had a horror story.  I feel terrible for anyone that it didn't work for, but why are you still on the lap band forum?  My answer would be that you are trying to convince people not to get it.  I just wanted to speak for myself.  I have never had a problem.  My endoscopy shows the band in great condition, and it's never been too tight, which causes it to embed in your stomach.  I think people who have another surgery should be posting on that forum, and not here trying to talk people into not having lap band surgery.  It does work for a lot of people, and I'm one of them.  Like I said, the horror stories are the reason I left.  I would get a lap band all over again if I had too. 

There comes a time when you have to move on.  Everyone's experience is not the same.

ladygodiva1228
on 6/26/15 7:15 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I stay to help those out who are struggling with their band, but have been lucky enough not to have any complications.   They sometimes have to be reminded of how to eat with their bands.

I also try and help those who have not had WLS understand that band may not be the best choice for them.  Some of the folks looking into WLS have wrong information regarding the band and the possibility of long term complications.

There are a few long time bandsters that have been very fortunate not to have any issues and I wish them continued success. 

We recently lost a very wonderful, caring, helpful long time bandsters and it had nothing to do with her band.  She was very helpful with the newbies looking into the band or who had recently had the band.  She will be greatly missed from this forum and others.

You may not like reading about the horror stories, but one should not turn a blind eye to them as you never know if somewhere down the road you have strange symptoms and are not sure what it is from.

Telling people where to post is not a cool thing to do.  Makes you sound like a forum nanny because you don't want to hear bad things about the band.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Brooklyn108
on 6/26/15 8:32 am

Heaven forbid, I be a forum nanny.  I probably won't return for another 3-4 years.  When you are happy and doing well, you don't really need any help.  I'm sure that if anything untoward ever turns up with my band, I will look into returning, but I think after 11 years, I can say I'm content.  I wanted to let others know that the happy bandsters are out there.  They just seem to drift away from the forum.  I think you must be talking about Kate, the woman from Britain.  I was so sorry to read about her.  She was a wonderful person, who had great success with the band, and I'm so sorry to hear about her death.  We used to talk quite a bit.  The forum is going to deeply miss her, I'm sure.  I have no desire to sway anyone to any surgery.  I think at the time I had the band, that had the sleeve been available, I may have opted for it, but it wasn't even on the radar yet.  I wish everyone continued success with whatever surgery they have had.  I just hope newbies aren't scared away by the people with bad experiences, because it doesn't happen to everyone.  Anyway, I'll say goodbye, and wish you all the best of luck with your endeavors.  Be good to each other.

Nic M
on 6/26/15 10:23 am

Some people see support as a two way street. Some people like to try to help others, if they can. They don't just take support when THEY need it.They also like to lend support to others who may be struggling. 

You could have come back and said, "Hey, I like my band, I'm having success." and left it at that. I'd have congratulated you and wished you continued success. But the fact that you're so dismissive and insulting about those of us who have had damaging, life altering complications makes me believe that you're not a very nice person and you posted solely to be dramatic. 

I'm not sure why you seem to think that you're somehow beyond the reach of potential complications. I'm thinking it won't be a surprise if you show up sooner than another 3-4 years, demanding information. Maybe then you'll understand why people still post here after band removal. A little compassion for others is not a bad thing. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/15 7:31 am - NY

Good point Brooklyn!  There does come a time when one has to move on. 

Dejah H.
on 6/26/15 8:36 am - Central, TX

Congratulations on your success with the band. I too love my band and have not had any issues. I was banded over 7 years ago.

Wishing you continued success and happiness,

Dejah

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

Hislady
on 6/26/15 7:17 pm - Vancouver, WA

You should try being a bit more like Kate who never once slammed anyone who had band complications. She and I were close friends even tho my band nearly killed me and left me with a stomach too damaged to do any other surgery on. The band now has a 60% failure rate so that tells me there are far more with problems than successes. I too would have said congrats on your success but you have a very negative attitude. You don't get to tell me what I can post and how I have to word it. My band failed me big time and I did nothing wrong! Most of us did nothing wrong.Yes I stay around to warn people of the other possibilities and that it is not a life time surgery like we were told.

Most Active