Feeling pain - Have been banded since 2003

pattystevens1122
on 8/11/15 10:23 am

Please help. Can't seem to find any answers. Soreness where port is and it is large lump which has grown. Suspect it is scar tissue where the port is. Now, when I try to bend over on the left side, twist or move from side to side laying in bed. Very bad pain that almost feels like it is catching. Pain will decrease but a general soreness persists. I went to ER last week. Had CT scan with and without contrast and they said it all was fine. Doesn't make sense to me. Sometimes my port is like a big ball you can see when I lay down (almost like the size of a baseball). Any experiences or information would be helpful in trying to get answers. 

Mell
on 8/11/15 12:45 pm

Hi,

I had some similar pain felt like a hernia! Doctor said a few things can happen, some stitching of the port could have loosened or came undone causing it to move or flip and scar tissue builds up for most of us and it hurts when disturbed.  Also scar tissue can form around the tubing so if it gets pulled it causes pains.

Mine hurt like hell, so during my TT revision they replaced my port with a newer smaller profile one, and re positioned it.  I am all good now!  Insurance did pay for the port replacement portion.  

Good luck.

Mell
Start weight: 320
At surgery:  300
Current:      185
Goal:           175

pattystevens1122
on 8/11/15 1:23 pm

Thank you for your reply. Sounds like what it can be. Waiting now to see if I can get in to see someone. I was just surprised when the CT scan said everything looked fine:(

Hislady
on 8/11/15 11:05 pm - Vancouver, WA

Could also be an infection or irritation around the port, get it checked to make sure what is going on.

Queen JB
on 8/12/15 10:30 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Oh my goodness--whatever it is does NOT sound okay, and should definitely be checked out further until you get an answer. My port would swell a bit here and there, but it was kind of obvious that is was after I just had a stuck incident. And it never swelled beyond the size of a golf ball. The soreness associated with it would only last a few hours, but after rest and liquids only it would go right down.

Keep us informed on what you find out--I'm curious. 

Wishing you the best in an easy recovery...

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

jlo669
on 8/13/15 4:49 am - bohemia, NY

They should scope you that happened to me and they did that to make sure I didn't need surgery to get it removed.

ladygodiva1228
on 8/13/15 5:18 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

For two years I dealt with port pain along with some other pain.  When I had my revision in February my doctor found my port, tubing and band encased in scar tissue and very inflamed.  He was surprised I wasn't in more pain.   It took him over an hour to literally carve the band out.  Miraculously there was no damage done to my stomach. 

I also had a CT scan done and it did not show the scar tissue.

Do not wait until the pain gets worse.  I hate to say it, but the band might have to come out.

I have come to realize that the band is like an allergy, some people don't last a year with the band due to complications, other can make it to 5 years then the issues start, and then some never ever have any issues unless they brought them upon themselves. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Hislady
on 8/14/15 8:36 pm - Vancouver, WA

Definately needs more investigation and an endoscopy to check inside the stomach and even then it doesn't always show anything but it still sounds like it needs to come out. I just hope your insurance will cover it, many don't anymore. Good luck!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/15 3:59 am, edited 8/24/15 4:00 am - NY

That large lump could be the port itself, especially if you have lost weight.  After I lost almost 90 pounds I started to feel and see mine.  No problems or pain just not enough fat there to cushion it anymore.  Almost 9 years banded and no problems.  The band saved my life.  If you had a CAT scan I wouldn't worry about it.  An infection would present with fever, elevated white blood cell counts and a red, puss filled presentation. This would have been detected in the ED.....I hope.

Most Active