Having my band removed 08-31-15! Anyone who had this done can you tell me what to expect?

judeloren
on 8/17/15 7:47 am

My dr said as its been in there a while ( since 2007) it may be a lot harder to remove. Also it might be pretty sore she may have to cut it out of my muscle. I know everyone was different and i can't wait to have it out no matter what i was just curious to see how long you had it in and what it was like to have it removed.

thanks!

michele1
on 8/17/15 3:14 pm
Revision on 07/07/15

I had my band in 2008, just had it out 7/8/15 along with hernia repair and revision to sleeve. The surgeon told my husband that he removed a lot of scar tissue. My pain was mostly between the two largest incisions,had only the IV Tylenol in the hospital no narcotics...did use the Tylenol with Codeine at home.Id say about the same pain as when the band was put in.

Everyone has different pain levels, I do feel so much better with the band out....so worth it!

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

judeloren
on 8/18/15 5:12 am

Thank you! yes i am so ready to have it out... then i have to wait 6 months for my sleeve :( GOOD LUCK!

michele1
on 8/18/15 6:28 am
Revision on 07/07/15

I.had my sleeve done at the same time, did they say why you couldn't and have to wait six months? Funny how every surgeon is different. Either way it will still be the best decision, instant relief!!!!

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

judeloren
on 8/18/15 7:58 am

i know i wish could do it all at once. she said they want everything to be healed before they do it. She said the chance of a complication or a leak can go up if you do them at once. I tried to talk her into it but she said the office is not allowed to do that. my insurance is going to make me re qualify for that anyway its a diet for 3 months and psych eval so i wouldn't have time to get it done before this surgery.  I don't want to wait for the lap band to come out for sure!

Hislady
on 8/17/15 5:16 pm - Vancouver, WA

Mine was put in in 2007 also and I had it removed last year. I would say it was about the same as when it was put in or when I had my gall bladder removed. Just some stomach pain around the biggest incision but nothing the pain meds didn't take care of. I evidently didn't have much scar tissue altho it sure felt like it and according to my surgical report there was some. I sure did feel better tho once it was out. It had been causing a horrible pain for months up under my rib cage. Felt like an ice pick jammed up under the middle of my rib cage! As soon as I woke up from surgery it was gone! I felt like a new person. hooray!! 

Hope it helps as much for you. I did not revise so can't tell you how that goes.

judeloren
on 8/18/15 5:11 am

ahh I can't wait!

southms
on 8/26/15 8:14 pm

I'm having my lap band removed this Friday, 8/28/15! I haven't had any restriction for years and didn't know why...until I had to have my appendix out a couple months ago while out of town.  The surgeon said the wire from the band was disconnected and the two ends were just "flopping around" in there. Went to my bariatric dr yesterday and he's removing it. I was self pay in 2008 and insurance will not pay to have it removed even though it's very dangerous and must come out. I was wondering if anyone else had problems like this. The only thing I remember about my band is it's a "V G" band.  At least that's what I think it's called.  Seems like a defect to me but...Costing me $4000 to have it removed!

judeloren
on 8/27/15 5:13 am

yikes! luckily my insurance is covering mine. it only costs me $370.  I would think that was a default of the band or surgeon error for sure. good luck tomorrow! Let me know how it goes!

spideygirl7133
on 8/27/15 7:59 am

I had my band removed a little over 2 weeks ago and a  revision to the sleeve.  I really thought I would feel differently once it was out,  but I dont feel much different (other than no more heartburn and gurgling after I drink or eat).  Anyway, my recovery is going well.  My doctor said there was a lot of scar tissue (had the band since May of 2008), and I did take the morphine they offered me in the hospital the first day, but other than that, my wounds have itched more than hurt and I have not been that sore at all.  I'm really glad its out as it was doing me more harm than good and my new pal 'Bobzilla' seems to be doing his job (that's what I have named my sleeve -  I'm weird and name everything).   

Good Luck!

Banded 05/2008, Revision to VSG scheduled 08/12/2015! 

Most Active