Fluid removed after surgery for Hiatal Hernia in April.

MARY ANN M.
on 9/4/15 10:13 am - Las Vegas, NV

I had fluid removed from my band in April during a surgery for Hiatal Hernia. Turned out I had massive adhesions that were removed. I went back 6 weeks post op and had some fluid put back in. I have had no restriction, and have gained 14 lbs. I was scolded by my Dr. saying I have emotional eating problem.  Well DUH!! I didn't have the band placed just for the heck of it. My band was placed 5/21/2009 and I had lost 60 lbs and kept it off for 6 years so I feel that the band was very successful for me. How do I get back on the weight loss track. I need to lose 14 lbs before the Dr. will adjust me again.  

Mary Ann

Susans_journey
on 9/4/15 12:40 pm

Hi Mary Ann;  Congrats on the weight loss that you had since the band was installed.  You lost weight so it seems as if you understand the basic "rules" of the band.  I understand the 14 pounds you gained can be very discouraging.  I had some issues with the band being too tight ( I was banded in May of 2010) and had ALL of the fluid removed to give my stomach a break.  Surprisingly, what I found was that I actually had retained the "training" of my brain and stomach so that I still used small plates, ate small amounts of healthy food (but to be honest a bit more than 3/4 to 1 cup of food- but not much more) and found that I was satisfied.  I had to make sure that I ate SLOWLY and still chewed well even though I knew in my pee-brain that I COULD eat more and COULD eat fast without getting stuck.  But what I wanted to avoid was returning to bad habits.  I have continued to lose weight, but have had to up the activity significantly.  It really is a three legged stool.  Proper food and calorie choices, proper exercise that is consistent and addressing the emotional reasons we eat.  You CAN do this.  Good luck. 

MARY ANN M.
on 5/15/16 11:01 am - Las Vegas, NV

thank you for your advice!!

Mary Ann

Hislady
on 9/7/15 8:51 pm - Vancouver, WA

My advice is always the same go back to basics. Weigh and measure your foods, log them and stick with hi protein/low carb eating. That should get it off in no time. Altho his reasoning seems counter productive, if he wants you to lose he should at least be willing to refill you to your original amount. You don't want to refill too fast tho either because refilling is never the same as the original fill, usually it feels like more than it is.

MARY ANN M.
on 5/15/16 11:00 am - Las Vegas, NV

Thank you for your advice!!

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

MARY ANN M.
on 5/15/16 11:01 am - Las Vegas, NV

Thank you for your advice!!

Mary Ann

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/16 11:19 am

How are you doing now?

MARY ANN M.
on 5/15/16 12:04 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Thank you so much for asking. I have gained 20 more pounds, I have been trying really hard to eat right, I just don't know what is going on. I feel so out of control!  I have signed up for a bariatric seminar with a different doctor. Not sure where that will go, I think I'm going to explore the different surgical options or at least see if this doc will follow me with my band.  My surgeon, the one who placed the band, wants $185.00 a visit for fills.  How are you doing?  

Thanks again!!

Mary Ann

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/16 12:08 pm
On May 15, 2016 at 7:04 PM Pacific Time, MARY ANN M. wrote:

Thank you so much for asking. I have gained 20 more pounds, I have been trying really hard to eat right, I just don't know what is going on. I feel so out of control!  I have signed up for a bariatric seminar with a different doctor. Not sure where that will go, I think I'm going to explore the different surgical options or at least see if this doc will follow me with my band.  My surgeon, the one who placed the band, wants $185.00 a visit for fills.  How are you doing?  

Thanks again!!

To be honest I ditched my band in 2008, I have a sleeve so honestly, life is pretty good.

Are you eating ANY white carbs at all?  Flour, sugar, rice, pasta, or potatoes?

MARY ANN M.
on 5/15/16 12:31 pm - Las Vegas, NV

Yes, I have been eating white carbs. No excuse, just yes, in moderate amounts.   Well, I guess I do know what's going on, just in denial. It's funny(sad) how I can just blind myself to the truth. This site and bloggers have always kept me honest, I guess that's why I stayed off.  I won't be doing that again.

Mary Ann

Most Active