Spasms

Karen D.
on 9/23/15 12:27 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I've been dealing with times when I can't eat and sometimes liquids get "stuck".  It's been happening for about 5 years.  In Nov 13 I started considering revision to the sleeve.  Not having much fluid in my band, I still get stuck often, slime and throw up.  I went to my doc last week to get him to apply for insurance approval to remove the band and he ordered an upper GI.  While on the table I had an episode where the barium wasn't moving.  The radiologist saw it (I didn't have to tell him it was happening) and said I was having a spasm of some sort.  Not really sure exactly what was happening.  I proceeded to slime up the barium so he got a good idea of what I go through most days.

I'm hoping this will be what my doc needs to send to insurance to approve removing it.  I'm also hoping I don't have permanent damage! 

annie0039
on 9/23/15 3:26 pm

Karen Sorry that you've been dealing with things like this that are common with a band :(

IT sounds like your having esophageal spasms. They occur and I've been told they can feel like a heart attack in the upper epigastric area. It occurs because the esophagus is being stretched. The reason for not being able to eat or have things "go down" are usually because of the internal scar tissue that builds up and creates issues with the band like, Gerd/reflux, spasms. Sleeve is a very viable option for a Revision good luck in the Future.

Hislady
on 9/23/15 7:58 pm - Vancouver, WA

Girl you HAVE to get that thing out of there!!! I have motility damage and I never even had much trouble with swallowing like you are. Once you lose your ability to swallow it doesn't come back. it is gone for good. You have to ge that out before you end up with permanent life long damage if you don't already have it. I wwish you the best but you gotta push that doc to get it out!

Karen D.
on 9/24/15 10:21 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Thank you both!  I am hoping he's had a chance to read the report from the Radiologist.  It's only been a couple days so I will wait a bit longer.  I'll definitely keep you posted.  I certainly do not want long term damage from this! 

Nic M
on 9/24/15 11:45 am

I guess this answers my question as to how you're doing. I'm sorry to hear you're still feeling so bad. I hope your doc can help you get insurance approval soon. You really need that band out. 

Good luck. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Zee Starrlite
on 9/24/15 2:34 pm

Sorry Karen!

I need to say this to you so that it is out there.  If your esophagus continues not to work well, a sleeve will be a poor choice for you as it is considered high pressured as well.  I really did not want to say that but better I do than you maybe suffering later.  It seems you tolerated and waited oh so very long before taking action.  Not cool.  Our bodies are forgiving though . . . sometimes.  It's the roll of the dice, hand of the deck kind of luck.

Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Karen D.
on 9/24/15 6:17 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Hi Layla,  Thanks...I have heard that too about the sleeve.  I guess at this point I will wait to hear what the diagnosis is and take it from there.  I honestly don't want the RNY!  If I can't do the sleeve I probably will go it alone and that scares me to death.  I don't think I can do it alone.  But we'll see!  I'll keep you posted.

Karen D.
on 9/25/15 11:43 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15
On September 24, 2015 at 2:34 PM Pacific Time, Zee Starrlite wrote:

Sorry Karen!

I need to say this to you so that it is out there.  If your esophagus continues not to work well, a sleeve will be a poor choice for you as it is considered high pressured as well.  I really did not want to say that but better I do than you maybe suffering later.  It seems you tolerated and waited oh so very long before taking action.  Not cool.  Our bodies are forgiving though . . . sometimes.  It's the roll of the dice, hand of the deck kind of luck.

Best,

Layla

Layla...do you mind if I ask exactly about the "high pressure"?  What does it really mean?  Like I've said, I've heard it mentioned but never asked what it means.  I wanted to talk to my doctor about it.

Thanks!

Karen D.
on 9/24/15 6:47 pm - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

Curious...I've been trying to find anything that says the sleeve is high pressure surgery.  Is there anything published anyone could share?  I'm just curious.  I don't know if I'm not searching using the right wording but haven't had any luck.

Thanks!

Hislady
on 9/25/15 8:59 pm - Vancouver, WA

My understanding is that the pressure comes from the band or sleeve pushing food up while the esophagus is trying to push the food down. So there is this constant pressure battle going on when your esophagus is trying to get the food down into the stomach the pressure of having something around the stomach or the smaller stomach with.

After awhile you lose motility because the esophagus muscles just get worn out and can't push any more. I've lost quite a bit of mine also and still have problems with it even tho my band has been out for almost 2 yrs! Once it is gone, it is gone for good. 

With the RNY it uses gravity to get the food down so that is really the only option once the esophagus has been damaged. Even if you don't want it, it may not be an option to just leave it. You may have to get RNY just to eat anything. There may be no other choice, from what I understand the RNY may be needed just to be able to eat. I could be wrong but that is how I have seen it put to others who have had issues with swallowing.

I know one gal who had to have her stomach completely removed and her esophagus attaches directly to her intestines. She has a horrible time eating and dumps on almost everything. Maybe someone else can give you a more scientific explanation but I don't know of any studies personally.

Most Active