Band Erosion

Sonja M.
on 9/21/15 3:38 pm

Scheduled to have revision from band to bypass in November, and just found out my band has eroded into my stomach.  May need to have it out and allow for healing before the bypass can be done.  Has anyone been through this or have tips/suggestions?

Thanks!

Sonja

Nic M
on 9/21/15 7:26 pm

Hi Sonja, I'm so sorry to hear this. I wish you the best with your revision. You might be able to find more info on the Revisions forum. There's a good chance that you'll have to have the band out and then wait for the bypass until you're healed. Are you experiencing any pain from the erosion currently? 

Best of luck to you. I hope all goes well. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Sonja M.
on 9/21/15 11:10 pm

I do have pain periodically starting in the center of my abdomen radiating out to the left. It can take my breath away at times. I will hear tomorrow what steps my surgeon wants yo to next, and how soon.  Thanks for the info. 

Hislady
on 9/21/15 8:46 pm - Vancouver, WA

If your band is eroded then it needs to come out NOW so it can start healing. Usually when it is eroded there is a certain amount of inflammation and often infection so that has to have time to recover and heal. You can't operate on a stomach with a hole in it or you will end up with stomach acid spilling into your body and that is a bad deal.It also depends on how much damage the band has done to your stomach and other organs, it can also cause great damage to the inside of your stomach too so it depends entirely on how much has been done to your poor stomach but do push to get it out ASAP the longer it is in there the more damage it is doing! Best of luck to you!

Sonja M.
on 9/21/15 11:11 pm

Thank you for the info and support. 

Sonja M.
on 9/22/15 9:21 pm

Will have decision from surgeon tomorrow.  His nurse said today if the erosion and damage is not too bad that he might do the bypass at the same time.  If not, I will have to wait 3 to 6 months for healing.  Praying for a quick and decisive response from the doc.

Sonja

Nic M
on 9/22/15 9:41 pm

I hope you get good news and all goes well. Either way, recuperate well and take good care of yourself. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active