6 years with Lap Band and having problems.

ahowar
on 9/26/15 1:40 pm

Hi I've been banded from 2009 and things were going good I lost approx. 90 pounds and started to have some problems a few months ago with sternum pain and vomiting after I eat almost every time I eat. I also have had moderate pain from the port area. I recently went to the Doctor and he found that I have dilation to the esophagus, and that my port has ripped away from the muscle wall of the stomach. well he recommended the band to be removed, that it was time since I changed my eating habits for the better. What do you guys think? do you think the insurance company will cover it? tks allen

Hislady
on 9/27/15 6:16 pm - Vancouver, WA

I always advise removal of the band simply because it is a poor product and has cause thousands of people to have permanent damage of their esophagus and stomach function. You are right about the stage where problems begin and everything tends to start going downhill. The band causes scar tissue to build up between the band and the stomach where it can't be seen and that causes it to act as if it is too tight. You can get an unfill but eventually it builds up again and starts causing problems even when empty. Your surgeon is very wise to suggest removal however I don't agree with just leaving you with no tool as most people regain without a revision to something else. Even the manufacturer changed the length of use from life time to 10 yrs so you would need to have it out soon anyway.

I would suggest you start researching the other 3 main surgeries the VSG vertical sleeve gastrectomy, the RNY gastric bypass and the DS duodenal switch. See which one would fit your lifestyle and eating style. I know of a few people who have managed to maintain their weight loss without revision such as myself but I have other health issues that caused my weight loss. In fact the band caused so much damage to my stomach and intestines that is what caused a great deal of my weight loss. I am still in pain from what the band did to me even tho it has been out for almost 2 yrs. So please don't try to keep it especially if it is causing esophageal issues for you already. When you start losing your ability to swallow that is permanent and you don't want to live that way, it is not fun. If your surgeon doesn't do revisions look around in nearby cities I'm sure you will be able to find one close by. 

As to whether your insurance will cover removal you will need to contact them and find that out and then they can tell you what if any requirements there are for removal. Best of luck to you!

Dejah H.
on 9/28/15 10:24 am - Central, TX

I would love to see the documentation from lap-band/allergen that states it should be removed after 10 years. I have never seen any documentation to that affect.

Can you post a link to that "manufacturer documentation"?

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/15 9:41 am, edited 10/5/15 2:47 am - NY

I love it when people give medical advice without a license! Only your doctor can suggest if surgery is recommended or not. I just visited my doctor and he knows nothing about removal of lab band after 10 years. He said he would NEVER do any surgery that was not necessary. Why would a lap band patient who is doing fine risk complications of major surgery? Makes no sense to me especially in this society where everything becomes a lawsuit. I sincerely doubt that Allergen is recommending this. Can you imagine the liability?! YIKES! Take advice from your doctor.

ahowar
on 9/29/15 1:38 pm

Well my surgery to remove the band is tomorrow, thank you for the input, I'm a little nervous about tomorrow 

C J
on 10/2/15 10:54 am - , TN

Get that thing out of there and don't look back. I firmly believe they should be outlawed. I know this will make some people angry, but even those who achieve success, I believe it comes at a price. I held onto the band for dear life. I kept thinking it was ME. I suffered both physically and emotionally....guess what, IT WAS THE BAND! I personally know 10 people with the band, and of those 10, two have been successful. The surgeon *****moved my band said that his practice only places about 2 a year...and this is A BARIATRIC CENTER OF EXCELLENCE! I think Allergan got many of us to drink "the kool-aid", and I for one will forever have lasting problems from my band. I wish you a happy and healthy BAND FREE life!

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Nic M
on 10/2/15 11:01 am

How'd it go? Are you doing okay?

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

ahowar
on 10/21/15 4:39 pm

Well I had the band removed on the 28th of last month. OMG 4 lap incisions and 2 4 inch ones because he could not get the port out of the first one. now for the first couple weeks from surgery I was getting better but now I'm having a stabbing pain in my region of my belly button when I gave to move and OMG don't sneeze I think I have a hernia going to a DR tomorrow for now I put a large wrap around my stomach to help with the pain. I don't trust my surgeon, hopefully the other dr will help me out.

Nic M
on 10/22/15 9:48 am

I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough recuperation. I hope you get some answers and feel better.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active