Revision Scheduled - So Glad.

kellygirl17
on 10/28/15 1:08 pm

Hi Eveyone -

I am writing on this forum to share my own story, not to disparage the Lap Band because I know many people are successful supporters. At the weight of 263 I had a Lapband placed in 2008, paying out of pocket. At that time GERD was my bigggest CM but I have a sister who was approaching 400 pounds so I was worried. At that time my weight was such that Bypass wasn't really considered and the band was new enough that there weren't too many horror stories and I had high hopes that it would be my answer.

Since that time my lowest weight was 150 (as a result of a huge bleeding fybroid) but has hovered at about 200 pounds - not great, but not terrilbe. I have had spells of success with the band but most of my experience has been unplesant. Pain around the port and on the side of the port (I've been checked for Gallstones multiple times), unable to lose weight then unable to swallow meat, back pain, etc. The port is placed in an area that I can ALWAYS feel when I bend or wear any type of waistband - it's BAD. Recently I have had consistant chest pain which has been ruled out as being cardiac and is likley more GERD.

So, after much thought and discussion with my surgeon I am having it removed and a RNY revision done (one surgery, again self pay, ugh). If I had it to do over again I WOULD NOT have a band placed and I would've had RNY in the first place. There is something about the foreign object nature of the band and port that never felt quite right to me, even when it was working.

If you're considering a band and have doubt please ask folks questions before you do so, make sure you've thought about everything, I wish I had.

Best of luck to everyone in their journeys!

Nic M
on 10/28/15 8:52 pm

There are way more band failures than successes at this point. Don't blame yourself at all. It's an inferior product. Wishing you the best with your revision. I hope all goes well for you and your recuperation is easy.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

kellygirl17
on 10/29/15 8:25 am

Thank you Nic M. - I appreciate your support very much!

Nic M
on 10/29/15 9:09 am

It's a hard thing to go through. I understand how painful it can be!
I hope you'll be able to check in after your revision and let us know how you're feeling. I hope the issues are resolved with band removal.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Zee Starrlite
on 10/29/15 9:51 am

Good luck with everything Kelly

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

kellygirl17
on 10/29/15 10:36 am

Thank you Zee Starrlite!

sheriberi29
on 10/29/15 12:28 pm - Cleveland, TN

Kelly , I'm facing having to have it removed ... Will also be self pay. May I ask what it costs ?

kellygirl17
on 10/29/15 1:08 pm

Hi there - I'n not exactly sure how much it costs to have the band just removed (with no revision) but with a revision to RNY it's going to be about 22K - whi*****ludes two nights in the hospital. California is more expensive than other states so depending upon where you live it may be less expensive. Good luck to you - if you're having any of the same problems that I am having I hope you are able to have it removed.

sheriberi29
on 10/29/15 1:18 pm - Cleveland, TN

I wish you all the best of healing and success !!!!

Hislady
on 11/1/15 9:28 pm - Vancouver, WA

Oh I understand all too well also the band has wrecked so many lives!! I finally had to just decide my life and sanity were most important and I had to just buckle down and do it before the pain drove me insane! That was almost 2 yrs ago and I still have permanent damage from it. There are several failed lap band groups on the internet that you might find helpful too.

Most Active