New here - Need some advice !

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/15 11:54 am

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the site and was wondering if I could get some advice. I am considering having the lap band or having the sleeve. I haven't made up my mind yet, I need to hear the good the bad and the ugly! I cant make up my mind because I have heard a lot of mixed reactions (results). Any advice or info that might help is welcomed

Signed

Anxious and Confused

Nic M
on 11/3/15 8:59 am

You can use the search feature on this site. I'm sure you will be able to find copious amounts of threads about the band and the sleeve. If you go back a few pages on the Lap Band board, you'll find a number of threads that might help you with your decision, as well.

Good luck with your decision. Hope all goes well.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

sheriberi29
on 11/4/15 3:42 am - Cleveland, TN

I'm banded since 2009 and I can only give my opinion .

I was all for the band and nobody could gangrene mind.... Flash forward to living with and eroded band... Insurance is giving a hard time about removing it , bc I'm not 100 lbs overweight they won't do any other weight loss surgery so if I have it removed I will gain all my weight back .

Minor fills can render you unable to swallow spit and hiccups can cause irritation that cause days of being unable to eat.

Your ur insurance could possibly change and even fills would not be covered not to mention you could face living with an implant that could kill you or at the minimum doesn't work anymore after several years .

sheriberi29
on 11/4/15 3:43 am - Cleveland, TN

Nobody could change my mind.... Auto correct

Dejah H.
on 11/4/15 9:39 am - Central, TX

Lots of people on this board have had complications; however, I am not one of them. I love my band, and it was the best decision I have ever made.

Good luck on your journey, whatever you choose. :)

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

(deactivated member)
on 11/5/15 12:33 pm

What do you think helped you with your success? sticking to the guidelines ? the diets ? I appreciate the feedback

Dejah H.
on 11/5/15 1:22 pm - Central, TX

I think that sticking to the guidelines definitely has played a big role in my success. I think one of the main factors is that you really have to be committed to making a complete lifestyle change which is definitely not easy, but you really need to make those lifestyle changes regardless of the type of surgery you choose. I have made the biggest changes in my life over the last year and a half. I have started working out regularly and competing in triathlons. That has played a huge role in helping me lead the healthy lifestyle that I want. 

One of the biggest pieces of advice about the band is to make sure you have great follow up care. Be honest with how you are eating, and never have your band so tight you cannot eat your protein. I think that is a mistake that leads to a lot of problems... keeping the band too tight for too long.

Feel free to add me as a friend and message me with any questions you have.

Good luck!

289 / 273 / 163.4 / 164   10cc AP Standard  my band! 

pizzicato66
on 11/19/15 4:35 pm - SAN DIEGO, CA
Revision on 04/19/22
On November 4, 2015 at 5:39 PM Pacific Time, Dejah H. wrote:

Lots of people on this board have had complications; however, I am not one of them. I love my band, and it was the best decision I have ever made.

Good luck on your journey, whatever you choose. :)

I'm 8 years out with no complications as well. I've had regain, but it's my own d*mn fault. I have plenty of restriction but break all the rules. The minute I start sticking with the rules, I lose weight. I'm coming back to the site after a few years to reconnect, as I don't have a good support system available to me in the city where I currently live, but that's another story. :-)

If you really want to know about safety, complications, etc. I would read actual studies on the band (recent ones) so you get an accurate count of how frequently complications happen. They do happen with the other surgeries as well, remember.  

I'm not negating the experience of those who have had problems (I really feel for them), but just know that others don't have those problems, and as with any public forum or review, those with problems are usually the loudest (I'm sure I'd do the same thing in their place).

Surgery, 8/22/07.  In it for the long haul!

SelfDoubt2
on 1/3/16 4:10 pm
Lap Band on 01/04/16

Thank you very much for posting these positive experiences.  I'm scheduled for my LAP band surgery tomorrow at noon and I started reading this forum today.  With all of the negativity, I began to feel myself panic.  The two of you who have been positive about your band, would you be willing to reveal your BMI at the time of surgery? I'm asking because My BMI is 33 which means I only qualify for LAP Band or Orbrera.  It's clear to me that Orbrera is a temporary solution, so I chose LAP Band.  My surgeon told me that he will not perform LAP Band on patients with BMIs near 40 or higher because the success long term is not as good as a sleeve or bypass.  Hence, I'm wondering if those who had poor experiences were in the 40+ BMI range.  If I had a choice, I would do a sleeve because I know it's more permanent, but it simply is not an option for me.

I'd love to hear your stories.  I'm terrified now, but my self esteem is so low that I really can't imagine NOT getting some help via surgery.

Thanks,

ss

SelfDoubt2
on 1/3/16 4:11 pm
Lap Band on 01/04/16

Thank you very much for posting these positive experiences.  I'm scheduled for my LAP band surgery tomorrow at noon and I started reading this forum today.  With all of the negativity, I began to feel myself panic.  The two of you who have been positive about your band, would you be willing to reveal your BMI at the time of surgery? I'm asking because My BMI is 33 which means I only qualify for LAP Band or Orbrera.  It's clear to me that Orbrera is a temporary solution, so I chose LAP Band.  My surgeon told me that he will not perform LAP Band on patients with BMIs near 40 or higher because the success long term is not as good as a sleeve or bypass.  Hence, I'm wondering if those who had poor experiences were in the 40+ BMI range.  If I had a choice, I would do a sleeve because I know it's more permanent, but it simply is not an option for me.

I'd love to hear your stories.  I'm terrified now, but my self esteem is so low that I really can't imagine NOT getting some help via surgery.

Thanks,

ss

Most Active