Egd polyps and ulcers anyone been here before

sheriberi29
on 1/26/16 11:41 am - Cleveland, TN

finally had my egd today and the gi dr found ulcers in my esophagus and polyps in my stomach that he biopsied. Does anyone have any experience with this. I've been banded nearly 7 years ... Very compliant and lost 100 lbs but have recently been having upper belly bloat , port pain, vomiting nearly everything that goes down and a regain of 45 lbs and climbing quickly. 

Anyone know if that is grounds for band removal and revision ? 

cdisanti
on 1/26/16 12:01 pm - CA

Don't know but I have your same symptoms . I'm 6 years out. Did you get an endoscopy or an upper G I. ?

sheriberi29
on 1/26/16 2:16 pm - Cleveland, TN

I got an upper gi series that showed everything was perfect and I went back to my dr and he tried to insist that any problems would have been seen then but I ABSOLUTLY told him " I'm not leaving until you schedule me a scope " 

i knew from this support website and from being a surgical nurse that an upper gi series would only show a slipped band or   Enlarged pouch above the band . 

Insist that you get the hel you need 

I'm waiting on the Drs next move. I'm pushing for a revision .... To sleeve or mini gastric bypass 

Hislady
on 1/26/16 3:38 pm, edited 1/27/16 1:29 pm - Vancouver, WA

This is a well known problem with the band and it should be removed asap. The ulceration and polyps are very dangerous and could very well be the beginnings of Barretts esophagus a pre-cancerous condition. You may need to push him more but I would insist he remove the band and do a revision.

As far as if your insurance will cover it, you may need to appeal but if they cover revisions at all they should cover this. The ulcers will just keep getting worse where you are throwing up all the time. Good luck!!

sheriberi29
on 1/27/16 5:52 am - Cleveland, TN

Yes I will push. By now he has figured out I'm not a laid back and let him decide for me kind of patient . Don't get me wrong ... I know they have more knowledge and skill but I know my body and my band . We've been friends for nearly 7 years but now it's time to part ways . 

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/16 6:36 am, edited 2/7/16 10:38 pm - NY

Kindly cite your references.  I have NEVER heard of the band causing polyps leading to Barret's esophagus or cancer.  I would be very interested to see such a publishing. I will gladly call Allergen or try to have a rep get back to us.  These accusations sound serious and if they are true people need to be informed. I myself am very skeptical.  Imagine the liability here!

sheriberi29
on 2/10/16 11:42 am - Cleveland, TN

Reflux causes polyps. 

Reflux causes ulcers

Reflux causes Barrett's esophagus

barretts esophagus causes cancer 

reflux is what I have developed from my lap band reguardless  of fill level , and despite the fact that I was compliant and successful with my tool while it worked properly 

Hislady
on 2/10/16 4:20 pm - Vancouver, WA

Thanks for answering her I was just gonna let her look it up herself if she was so curious. Like you I live with the damaged esophagus so I'm not gonna bother with someone that ill educated about the band. There's nothing worse than a know it all, so far successful bandster. Their day will come tho!

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/16 7:11 am - NY
cdisanti
on 1/26/16 4:19 pm - CA

I have my next appt March . I will insist on the scope because the g.I. showed everything was perfect. Thanks

Most Active