Surgery 5 years ago but experiencing port site pain

Summerjandersen
on 3/26/16 1:09 pm

Hi,

I had my surgery about 5 years ago but since have had one pregnancy and baby, which went well. However, last May I had to have a complete hysterectomy (TAH) and the colorectal surgeon found my appendix adhered to my band port (don't ask me how the hell that happened). Since healing from my TAH I have intermittently had port site issues. Lately it's getting worse. It feels like it's in a new place and it is showing swelling and bruising. I am going to call the center on Monday to see if I can get in to get checked out but wanted to see if anyone here has any insight to help ease my mind. I had some hip X-rays done the other day and my band and port showed up on them and to me it looked like the port line was kinked but I have no clue how it looked before I don't remember. Any help or encouragement is greatly appreciated. 

sheriberi29
on 3/26/16 2:03 pm - Cleveland, TN

I don't see how the port could have been anywhere near your appendix or any other organ for that matter bc the port is subcutaneous and your intestines are in a very protective bag called your peritoneum . Also , your appendix is in the right lower quadrant of your abdomen at the very end of your cecum . This is baffling and I can not imagine how this could happen. I wish you luck in finding the problem. Please update 

Summerjandersen
on 3/26/16 2:41 pm

Yah. My endometrial lesions caused my appendix to be pulled up and behind my bowel. I don't know how that happened either. The doc said he was shocked to see how wrapped up it was. My ovaries were swapped too due to lesions and the scar tissue. It was a very complex surgery. Go big or go home right?

-anyway, thanks for your reply and support :)

sheriberi29
on 3/26/16 2:51 pm - Cleveland, TN

Darn, you've been through it. I really hope they figure all of this out for you  ! 

keynote34
on 3/26/16 9:08 pm
Revision on 03/16/16

I finally had my lap band removed this month after 6-1/2 years. My revision surgeon told me my port was similarly placed. I wish I could offer words of comfort, but I've had nothing but trouble with the lap band. I had the gastric bypass put in.

annie0039
on 4/1/16 8:04 pm

How did things go with your Dr Visit?

It's not uncommon for scar tissue /Adhesion to form from Abdominal surgery, even laparoscopic. I've heard of numerous ppl that after having the band removed they were told that the band or tubing had adhered to other organs. Spleen, Liver, stomach,

If you continue to have problems for the port area is important to be proactive!! As Erosion can occur from an infection of the port area.

Band erosion

Band erosion is an uncommon complication of LAGB. In this scenario, the band gradually erodes through the stomach wall and into the gastric lumen. The incidence is less than 1%,11,16,17 with a reported prevalence varying from 0% to 11%.19 The etiology of band erosion may be the result of gastric-wall injury during band placement or tight anterior fixation, especially around the band buckle.19

A high index of suspicion is required for diagnosis of band erosion as most patients are asymptomatic. When symptomatic, complaints related to erosion include loss of restriction, nonspecific epigastric pain, gastrointestinal bleeding, intra-abdominal abscesses or port-site infection.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038361/?report= classic

Sure Hope you got some answers.

Most Active